We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
1 post
Save Topic
Weather

I've got reservations for a week @ Virginia Beach mid August. I've been checking the weather and according to online sites, it's basically been raining every day for 3 months. Are these just passing thunderstorms, or should I cancel my plans? I'm a beach person and would spend most of my time with fiance sunning or swimming. What is the weather really like? And can I expect drab weather in August?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
361 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

I can guarantee you it has NOT been raining every day for three months! LOL They are just passing thunderstorms and may not have even been at the oceanfront. Virginia Beach is a big place and especially in the summer when we have those "scattered storms", one place can have rain and two miles away it is dry and sunny. When we do have those scattered storms they are generally in the late afternoon early evening. Mid August is generally very hot and very humid - which is why I am going to Maine! :)

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

Hi Glencannon,

I am not directly 'in' VA Beach, I am about 35 miles north. However, I will tell you that there is rarely a day in summer for this whole area that the weather won't show some sort of percentage of a chance of storms here. For example, where I am located as well, they have called for a 40% chance of rain every single day. In the past 2 weeks or so, though, we've only had about 4 days that had any rain at all, & those were just quick storms in the late afternoon/evening that blew in & blew right back out again. The typical weather pattern for this time of year is 'scattered showers or thunderstorms', usually 'pop-up' storms due to warm temps. You will rarely wake up this time of year to find a whole rainy day. Usually rather, they will produce showers for 10-20 minutes, & then move out quickly. So, a 40% chance of rain may mean 40% chance that it will rain for only 20 minutes the entire day, and leaving a 60% chance of no rain at all!

The weather 'forecast' is generally only correct within about 24-48 hours out here. The weather here changes so often in the blink-of-an-eye. They don't really know when something will actually pop up or not, just that conditions tend to be 'favorable' for it, so there is always a chance so they have to put something on there. Just keep watching the forecast, & you will see that it will change as those dates get closer as they see if any actual storm systems are beginning to develop, & you will have a better idea of how the weather will be a day or two before you begin your trip.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

Hi Glencannon!

We just got back from our VA Beach vacation 7/20-25. There was about a 40% chance of rain each day, but the only day it rained was Monday (the day we arrived)and that wasn't until later in the day. We did go to Busch Garden's on Thursday and it was sunny when we left the hotel - don't know if it rained later in the day. They closed some of the rides at BG b/c of an approaching bad t-storm - all that happened was about 10 mins of rain followed by more sunshine and heat!

Hope your weather is great - ours really was!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

Thanks goodness!!!!

We live in Toronto and are headed down to virginia beach last week of august. This has been one of the worst summers that I can remember in my 40 plus years with rain - and I mean torential downpours for several hours, almost everyday. Can't remember a summer that we have had so much rain and such cool days and nights - we are famous for our humidity and we have had none. So looking forward to getting away and enjoying some nice weather - at least for my kids sake!!!! I think I will cry if we drive all that way only to be indoors on our vacation .....

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

We are going the week of the 22nd and have been praying for good weather. In NY it has been a pretty wet summer.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

Well I just returned from a vacation in VB , accomodations facing the ocean, Well got there Aug 10th for two days the weather was hot and sunny, on Wed afternoon the storm clouds came and it was a downpour, and each afternoon we got downpours

It didn't detour my plans, the morning I left it was raining :.(

I do understand the week of Aut 17th is really going to be sunny so anyone vacationing that week will truely get looks a sun

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

Please don't stress over the weather forecast-they really do not know how to predict and are frequently wrong. To illustrate: I live 3 miles from the oceanfront where my son works at a golf club. On Sat he said it was pouring; we had not a drop at our house-did not even know it had rained until he returned home from work.

Expect late day showers-usually only lasting a few minutes to maybe an hour.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather

We were in VA Beach Monday 8/10 - Saturday 8/15. It pretty much rained from ;ate Wednesday afternoon to Saturday morning. There were a very few, very short periods during that time that it didn't rain but it was very overcast - no sunshine. There were quite a few downpours. Unfortunately it ruined our vacation - there were a ton of outside activities we never got to do. I love VA Beach though!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather

Sorry to hear that Flyegle

You are correct about the downpours, but I have to say all the activities I planned was accomplished

We went to Water Country on Tuesday which was the hotest day, Wednesday was wacky we took the trolly up and down the strip and as soon as we got back toward Larken street, it poured and we were caught in it, however we ate at this great place called Cheeseburgers in Paradise. it pretty much stopped later, and we caught the bus back to the hotel.

Thursday we went to Busch Gardens, got the the park early, it was over cast but great wheather for the park to be in, all the roller coasters were enjoyed

and then some, at 3:30pm the clouds opened up. So we went to eat the German fest. Saw the show and by the time it was over and we finished eating it stopped somewhat. We didn't leave the park until it closed. Friday, we were able to rent bikes, had a great ride, by 3:30 pm again it RAINED, I had wanted to spend some time on the beach, the time was 10min. Saturday we left and it poured in the morning Oh Well, All in All I had a great Time .

10. Re: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 05:17