We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia Beach Construction?

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
5 posts
Save Topic
Virginia Beach Construction?

Does anyone know why there is large construction machinery on the beach along the southern end of the boardwalk? I can see it from the webcam that I have been watching. If you know what it is there for, would you also know when the project might be complete?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia Beach Construction?

I understand the dredging of Rudee Inlet is from March 30 to May 10. In order to keep Rudee Inlet open to boats there needs to be the occasional dredging. In the past pipes have been buried in sand and only the spout exposed at the end. Sand ran through it and was tossed back on the beach sand, which is essential for beach replenishment from storms, hurricanes, and helps prevent shrinking beaches and dropoffs that make it difficult to get into the ocean. So it's a good recycling idea I think. It looks like they are going to be doing that this spring too then. That's all I can come up with anyway.

Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia Beach Construction?

Very helpful. Thank you!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia Beach Construction?

And PS with previous dredgings, every single time we were there and passed the pipeline discharge - and that was many times - children were gathered around watching it, fascinated by the puddles and sand coming out. Nothing inherently special to some, but amazing to older youngsters and young teens and even adults who just like to watch stuff work.

One of those 'unusual attractions' :)

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia Beach Construction?

We're pretty good here about doing construction in the 'off-season'. The resort oceanfront area is crazy enough between Memorial Day and Labor Day and there's no point in making it worse!

The exception to that being in Sandbridge when they were building some of the condos there (which are now finished). It's impractical to stop construction on a huge building for 4 months.

I inquired what was happening in that area and was told the same - dredging of the inlet. This year is actually more extensive than years past because they're not only dredging silt that has deposited, but DIGGING a deeper inlet. That's the additional equipment you see. Apparently we've had multiple requests for larger boats being able to stop at the Marina instead of having to anchor out. Now I'm not talking cruise liners, I just mean larger yachtie types. It's a fairly small Marina back in there, as Marinas go, and they're also hoping that by digging it deeper, that we won't have to dredge it as often.

But everything except possibly the normal dredge hose that was described above, and is generally unobtrusive, is scheduled to be done by Memorial Day.

Hope this helps!

Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Virginia Beach Construction?

Are they still allowing boat traffic in and out of the inlet while this is going on? We plan on staying in Virginia Beach the last week of April so it sounds like we will have a lot of activity to check out. I'm just hoping it doesn't take away from the beauty of the ocean. This will be our first visit.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virginia Beach Construction?

Yes, boat traffic is still going in and out of Rudee.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virginia Beach Construction?

Where are you staying? You may not even notice anything. The beach is so wide from boardwalk to ocean and one can easily walk up a bit if you like so that there are no distractions of any kind for you. However, we've seen lots of people sitting right near the 'spout' too.

Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Virginia Beach Construction?

Dolphin Run Condominiums

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virginia Beach Construction?

Wow, what a beautiful morning. I"m looking at what you are seeing through Waterman's camera.

In some spots you'll see they are in time for that dredging/beach replenishment recycling operation. There is quite a drop off in a couple of spots. You'll be able to tell from the shots of heads walking out by the water. The heads belong to people a few feet below the sand level. Other places you will get a sense of the vastness of the beach when you see a view with the boardwalk in it and the full bodies of tiny people out walking the water's edge in swimsuits.

It's amazing how fast a "block" goes when you're walking the boardwalk so if the spring necessary stuff (orchestrating nature to make it generally safe and beautiful for us all) it won't feel like a long walk to set up your blanket a few blocks over.

The big ship out there is the dredger Charleston hard at work.

Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Virginia Beach Construction?

Thanks again. As you said, some people find this very interesting. I'm sure that will be my husband. I think he will probably enjoy this added attraction. Myself? I was looking forward to a very peaceful, relaxing and serene atmosphere. But I'm sure everything will be fine.

You seem very knowledgeable of the area. So what do you think about Dolphin Run Condo's?

Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach