We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia Beach hidden gems?

Stanardsville...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia Beach hidden gems?

Hello, my family is going to visit Virginia Beach in June. We are staying near the beach/boardwalk and are looking for some hidden 'gems' in the area. I have the feeling we'll get 'beached out' after a few days and would be interested in activities that are maybe not as well known. Also, maybe restaurants that are hidden gems and local favorites (not tourist traps).

Ideally, we're looking for only activities local to the beach....i.e. not day trips to Williamsburg. Maybe there is a small company that doesn't have a website that rents inexpensive kayaks? Maybe there is a particular part of the beach that is typically not so crowded?

Thanks to all and the destination experts!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia Beach hidden gems?

To the left, there is a link that says "Things to Do". I would click that and start looking through traveler feedback there and see what interests you.

Stanardsville...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia Beach hidden gems?

Thanks, I've looked there, but was hoping for not generally advertised things to do, places to eat, etc.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
46 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia Beach hidden gems?

In the Sandbridge section of Virginia Beach there is a little local spot called Baja. They have a kayak rental place right next door where you can rent a kayak and head out on Back Bay. Very quiet.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia Beach hidden gems?

Did you read the Top Questions about VB? There is one called What to do besides go to the beach. There are links to several articles and discussions on those hidden gems.

Check for activities at First Landing State Park and at Back Bay.

Stanardsville...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virginia Beach hidden gems?

I'm not aware of "Top Questions".

I will add First Landing State Park and Back Bay to my 'to-do' list.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virginia Beach hidden gems?

It's in the upper right hand corner of this screen.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
181 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virginia Beach hidden gems?

If you go to the northern end of the oceanfront resort area... streets 50 and up... there are alot less people since the area consists of homes and not hotels. Just be very cautious of where you park... tow truck drivers here are like sharks!

Level Contributor
787 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virginia Beach hidden gems?

Not sure of the ages of your children, but if they are little, going to the beach at the bay along Shore Drive is great since there are fewer waves and tidal pools with all sorts of marine life. You can also see the Bay Bridge Tunnel. Cute little restaurants in the Chic's beach area as well.

and it's probably listed as a popular "attraction" but Mt. Trashmore has a great playground and the best view from the top! Take a picnic and a kite.

And I highly recommend Skinny Dip at Hilltop! Yummy frozen yogurt

http://www.ilovetheskinnydip.com/

become a Fan on Facebook for specials and flavors.

Edited: 19 April 2010, 02:46
Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
181 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virginia Beach hidden gems?

Oh I second the Skinny Dip... aaaamazing! Especially if you have kids, definitely go there! I go at least twice a week with friends. =)

10. Re: Virginia Beach hidden gems?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach