We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need camping help!!

Roanoke, Virginia
6 posts
Save Topic
Need camping help!!

I need some help planning a mini-camping vacation for my family of 3. We have a 5 year old son that LOVES water, so a nice pool or nearby water activities is a must. I am expecting in the Fall, so clean bath houses are important as well!!

We have been camping locally and want to venture out. We live close to Roanoke, but would like to travel 5 or less hours. And I need some help finding good, quality campgrounds away from home!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need camping help!!

I noticed that another poster provided you the VA State Park website link; that will help you with campground locations and amenties. For Va Beach, consider First Landing State Park. FLSP has a nice campground on the Chesapeake Bay and across Shore Drive is the Park with about 25 miles of wonderful trails. The "far" end of the Park, near 64th St (parking available), has an inland beachy area on Linkhorn Bay. Your son would probably like the area for the water and cool spots to explore. Hope this helps.

Happy trails

Level Contributor
787 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need camping help!!

We are big fans of Kerr Lake off 85 in Boydton, VA. nice swimming areas but no pool. not a fancy campground with organized activities but lots of room to bike, explore. there is a great dam to check out and a visitors center with fun info about the dam, animals and history and he would love watching the locals reel in the huge fish at the base of the dam.

looks like it's getting a makeover so all the sites aren't open...

www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do…

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
46 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need camping help!!

Try the KOA off of General Booth Blvd. there is also a Holiday Travel Park located almost directly across the street from the KOA. Still close enough to the Oceanfront to enjoy the beach but off the beaten path enough to be camping.

4. Re: Need camping help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach