We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for first beach trip with baby?

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DC Metro area
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for first beach trip with baby?

Any tips for what to bring to beach for 6 mon old? We are staying at SpringHill suites so we are on the beach and have indoor and outdoor pool options. Trying to think through all the things we will need on the beach, trips to the pool, and things we can do during the heat of the day when baby should be indoors. Looking for suggestions on things to do or places to go. I figured out the aquarium, petting zoo & boardwalk. Anything I'm missing? Is there a mall or outlet shopping nearby?

TIA!

Central VA
Level Contributor
90 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for first beach trip with baby?

We just left the Springhill suites and my youngest is a bit older than yours but not out of diapers yet, so I maybe able to help

1) Bring plenty of swimmy diapers. The ones at the hotel are expensive, and across the street they only have a fairly large size (too big for my son)

2) You can get a bamboo mat at one of the local beach stores for use on the beach, along with an umbrella holder that really digs into the sand and holds a beach umbrella well. The holder made it really easy to use our umbrella to keep the sun off the little one which makes a big difference.

3) There is a play set right next to the Springhill on the beach but your 6 month old is obviously a little young for it yet, but plenty of kids around and moms if you want to socialize with families with small kids.

4) If you put your swim stuff in it's own bag (including the swimmy diapers) , if you get to the hotel early and your room is not ready, they will give you a pool pass for the outdoor pool and let you change in the restrooms off hte lobby. If your little one loves swimming, this is a great opportunity for extra swims :) They call your cell when your room is ready

5) the VB wave passes by the hotel (a bus/trolley service) you can get an all day ride pass for one dollar at SunSations which is only a block down Atlantic on the other side of the street from the Springhill. It will take you to tons of places up and down Atlantic ave, but not sure anything is really that thrilling shopping wise there. We went to Target at one point but had to drive to that of course. Around 22nd street or so there are at least 2 mini golf places.

6) Be careful with the elevator door from the parking garage. If it closes on something (as it did my suitcase) it won't open until you get the card reader to read your card again.

7) Go early for breakfast if you can, it gets busier as the morning goes along. Of course with a 6 month old , sleep may be more important to you if the baby happens to sleep in lol. There is a breakfast joint directly across the street (Waffletown? ) that we never tried if you miss breakfast or the line is too insane when you go down.

8) Avoid the aquarium if it is a rainy or cold day, because that is where everyone else is going too :)

Central VA
Level Contributor
90 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for first beach trip with baby?

Oh also - get an infant swim shirt! They usually have at least SPF30 and don't wear off or cause rashses like many sunscreens do for many babies. Little kids are much more sensitive to the UV

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for first beach trip with baby?

Excellent advice from VASkeptic!

You asked about shopping. The outlet mall is in Williamsburg, but in VB you can go to Lynnhaven Mall and shops at Hilltop using the Wave. Take Route 32, the Shoppers Shuttle.

Check the Top Questions (box to the right of the screen) for info on things to do. Some of the links give rainy day ideas, non-beach attractions, and off-the-beaten-path ideas.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for first beach trip with baby?

I would also suggest splitting your beach times to early in the morning (before 10 am) and later in the day (5 or after) so as to miss the hottest part of sun. Make sure you bring a couple sippies full of ice water/juice water or freeze some water if possible and offer it to the babe more often than usual. They can get dehydrated more quickly than we. If you're breastfeeding, you're gonna want to drink two to three times your normal water so you don't have any milk disruption...you're gonna sweat out ALOT of it.

Definately bring something for the little to sit or lay on because the sand can get hot. Don't stay out with one that young, even under an umbrella for more than about 90 minutes at a time.

You might also think about getting a small kids pool (blow-up) from one of the drugstores so you can put in some sea water then put it under the umbrella for the babe to splash around in. (I'm sure I don't have to tell you not to take your eyes off them tho...you have managed to keep it bathed and alive for the last six months...hehe) This is much safer then you taking them into the water on your hip...occasionally a wave at even calf height can take you down...

Put the sunscreen on the baby 30 minutes prior to going into the sun so it can soak in and work at maximal protection. Don't forget a hat that can get wet and with a strap if ness to keep it on. You may even want to invest in some cheap baby sunglasses cause the sun is BRIGHT and bounces off the water even when you're under an umbrella.

Hope this helps!

5. Re: Suggestions for first beach trip with baby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2011, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach