We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia Beach on crutches

virgina
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia Beach on crutches

I am hoping someone can help me. We are going to VA beach very early on Saturday morning, arriving by 8:30 AM. Can anyone suggest where we could park, putting us near the public restrooms? We will also need a decent place for breakfast. Anybody have any ideas? I will be on crutches, so this should be interesting. Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia Beach on crutches

This is from the convention and visitors site, www.vbfun.com:

Accessibility

"The Virginia Beach Boardwalk is a concrete walkway that is accessible to individuals with varying degrees of mobility. Ramps are available at each street to take you from the Boardwalk to the sand. In addition, wooden walkways that take you from the ramp to the water's edge are available at 8th, 17th, 24th, and 30th Streets.

Two beach wheelchairs are available on a first come, first serve basis from the beach attendants at 17th and 24th Streets. Visitors may borrow the wheelchair for a half day. If no one else has requested the chair, it may be kept for the remainder of the day. There is no charge for this service.

Designated disabled on-street parking is available at Rudee Loop, 2nd, 6th, 7th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 30th, 33rd, 34th, 36th, 37th, 38th. Designated disabled off-street parking is available in all municipal lots. "

ok, me again. So, since you're getting there early it wouldn't hurt ot more easily enjoy the sites along the boardwalk in a wheelchair. I believe they are all terrain. There are a lot of things going on along the boardwalk. Check here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58277-d269374/Virgin…

Do you have a handicapped tag for your vehicle? If not, you should be dropped off while the driver parks. There are several benches along the boardwalk.

Those wooden walkways are wonderful. You choose the street where they are and alongside the boardwalk beside the concrete steps into the sand is a walkway. It is there, even though sometimes it is covered with some sand and not totally unearthed. You walk along it a bit and follow it out toward the water. There are usually obvious arms or platforms off it for wheelchair parking near where one would set out blankets and chairs. Or you can just scoot over a bit to a chair. REmember you'd be better off in a regular old fashioned beach chair than a low sand chair.

And here's the visitor bureau's info on public restrooms:

"Permanent public restrooms are adjacent to the boardwalk at 17th, 24th, 30th, and 31st Streets. The restrooms at 24th and 31st Streets are open year-round. These restrooms contain no changing facilities. There are restrooms with changing facilities at Croatan Beach, First Landing State Park and Little Island Park"

And there is a rinse off shower at every public entrance...seems like every one. And lots of foot rinse offs around.

This is a lot so let me post it in case I lose it.

Mentioned in this post
Virginia Beach Boardwalk
Virginia Beach Boardwalk
6,655 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
First Landing State Park
First Landing State Park
919 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia Beach on crutches

If it were me I'd want to land at the street closest to those walkways.

So you're looking at eating at 8th, 17th, 24th and 30th.

If you'd like to try for the wheelchair...and they are really handy and VB is very accessible...that would be 17th and 24th.

So...places to eat breakfast around there.

virgina
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia Beach on crutches

I don't have a handicap pass. A few weeks ago, I would have needed the wheel chair, but I don't think I will now. That being said, I imagine the wooden walkway will be a great help, crutches in sand probably won't be much fun. Can either of you suggest a good place for breakfast and dinner?

Thanks again!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia Beach on crutches

Here's parking then:

The oceanfront resort area contains more than 2,900 off-street municipal parking spaces and 678 on-street metered spaces. Parking meters have a three hour time limit and are enforced April 1-September 30. Municipal parking lots are located at Rudee loop (3 lots), 19th Street and Pacific Avenue, 25th Street and Pacific Avenue and at Croatan and Sandbridge beaches. Municipal parking garages are located between Atlantic and Pacific Avenues on 9th and 30th Streets. Municipal parking lots and garages charge a daily fee. Special hourly, weekly, and monthly rates are available at various locations in the resort area. Overnight parking is only available at the 9th and 31st Street garages. For more information, call (757) 385-6667.

And remember you can also take the Wave hybrid bus along Atlantic Ave.

Mentioned in this post
Sandbridge Beach
Sandbridge Beach
1,200 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virginia Beach on crutches

The walkways are definitely a good idea. Especially considering much of the sand area from Boardwalk to ocean is the size of a football field and soft. If you have a cast, don't get the sand inside it...it's very very hot in the sun.

Okay, then a few ideas for breakfast. They can actually be almost anywhere and then drive to the oceanfront after, right?

We have enjoyed Mahi Mah's breakfasts overlooking the ocean in Ramada on the Beach...around 7th and Atlantic.

You could drive to breakfast at Doc Taylor's on 24th and then drive to the oceanfront.

Pocahantas Pancakes is popular and we have liked it in the off season but it gets very crowded with lines waiting in season.

Mentioned in this post
Mahi Mah's Seafood Restaurant
Mahi Mah's Seafood...
2,345 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
DOC Taylor's Restaurant
DOC Taylor's Restaurant
962 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
virgina
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virginia Beach on crutches

Do you have to move your car after 3 hours, or can you just refill the meter?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virginia Beach on crutches

We never use metered parking, so I don't know for sure. However, in other parts of the city and surrounding cities, you can feed the meter all day long. I suspect it's the same at the oceanfront.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virginia Beach on crutches

Thanks Wendy. Yeah, we have used it but not for very long.

I have found prices for the parking garage/lot prices though which would likely be less than the meters, especially for staying all day:

sunnydayguide.com/virginia_beach/…

Hmmm. but I notice they say the meters are .75 . I thought it was higher.

Yes, $1.50/hr. Some areas are free. Check here:

http://www.vbfun.com/maps/

Still not sure about the refilling though.

virgina
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virginia Beach on crutches

Thanks, I am narrowing things down. I think we will try to go to the 30th street parking garage. Is there a good breakfast place nearby?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virginia Beach on crutches

Doc Taylor's is at 23rd St; Belvedere Coffee Shop in the Belvedere Hotel at 36th St; Pocahontas Pancake House at 34th

Mentioned in this post
DOC Taylor's Restaurant
DOC Taylor's Restaurant
962 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Belvedere Coffee Shop
Belvedere Coffee Shop
360 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach