We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Driving to VA Beach

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Driving to VA Beach

My husband and I will be traveling to VA Bch for the first time in June by way of W-S, NC to Petersburg, VA to VA Bch. On the drive back, it will VA Bch directly to W-S. Several people keep telling me we will have to go through the Chesapeake Tunnel to get to VA Bch. I'm not seeing it based on the directions on "Yahoo Maps and Driving Directions."

Can anyone confirm if you have to go through the Tunnel to reach southern VA Bch? If so, how long does it take to get through the tunnel. I'm sort of looking forward to it...always wanted to see it since I saw it on "Modern Marvels" even though I'm a little nervous about the tunnel.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Driving to VA Beach

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel? heck no! That takes you to the Eastern Shore. I would follow Rt 460 to I-264 to VB from Petersburg. Possibly your friends are thinking of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, but you wouldn't go through that unless you took a longer route from Petersburg north to Richmond, on to Williamsburg, and on to Hampton and then through the tunnel to VB.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,737 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Driving to VA Beach

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is just north of Virginia Beach, so you won't be going on or through it. Others will know if there is a tunnel you'll need to go through, but it won't be the CBBT.

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Driving to VA Beach

Thanks for confirming everyone. I just could not figure it out. Two people told me about the Chesapeake tunnel but I really think they must have meant the Hampton Roads tunnell

Wendy my driving directions match up with your information :-)

4. Re: First Time Driving to VA Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach