We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So confused and Indecisive! Please Help on Hotel!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
So confused and Indecisive! Please Help on Hotel!

Never been to Virginia Beach but have been reading reviews and such regarding hotels and good locations. We do want to be able to walk to most everything - places to eat, nightlife, etc or for it to be close at least (dont mind walking at all). going July 6 - 10 so not sure how crowded the beach will be in the threee areas listed below. Dont want to be shoulder to shoulder on the beach. Want a nice room, but dont plan on spending that much time in the room! I am down to the following three hotels and looking for opinions. They are:

Ramada, South End

Cavalier Hotel - north end (either the one on hill or oceanfront)

Capes Hotel...seems to be in the center

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So confused and Indecisive! Please Help on Hotel!

Go with the Capes. I live here so I've never stayed in any of these, but I believe this is one that explorer talks about a lot. At any rate, it's central, so walking everywhere and being close to the various stages in either direction would be the deciding factor for me. At the Cavalier, you're at the END of the Boardwalk, so if the entertainment at the 7th St stage looks good, you have the longest walk ever. Conversely, if you stay at the Ramada and want to check out Catch 31 or Neptune Park, it's the long haul.

The beach is big, so I don't think you'll have a problem with people being too close.

Have fun deciding!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,701 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So confused and Indecisive! Please Help on Hotel!

And, ps, I have no stake in the place except my and my family's and friends' good times:)

We've stayed at all three you mention. They are all nice...just different styles and sizes and locations.

Maybe you can say what it is you like about each one and doubt about each one...given that there are only three.

Then maybe we can put your concerns at ease.

Much of the beach is about 300 ft from Boardwalk to ocean. (A football field, you know.) So it's never been shoulder to shoulder or anywhere near except to watch the July 4 fireworks or the concerts with big names, mostly at the south end (but not your weekend)

Fireworks will be shot off July 6 at 10 pm from the barge at 20th St.

You'll also have Beach Fam Fest (VB is very family friendly) with something going on at the 17th St. Park on Friday nights. The schedule is not up yet today but keep your eye here:

http://www.beachfamfest.com/index.asp

I see on www.beachstreetusa.com that Circus in the Park is at the 17th St. Park too July 5 and 6.

Also keep an eye on www.vbfun.com .

North Olmsted
Level Contributor
64 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So confused and Indecisive! Please Help on Hotel!

We visit Virginia Beach just about every year. We have stayed at several hotels but I have never stayed at those hotels. But don't worry too much about walking to things. The ocean front has a trolley that runs up and down Atlantic Avenue. You can get a pass very cheap for the week, under $10 I think and then you can ride all you want. That's what we do and we take the trolley back and forth, it makes things very easy. We love the Marriott chains, usually stay at one of those. Prior years have stayed at Fairfield Inn on 19th street and that is centrally located to everything and is wonderfuly. This year stay at Springhill Suites and will write about it when we return. Hope you enjoy your vacation!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,701 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So confused and Indecisive! Please Help on Hotel!

Different direction.

Looking at some of your posts, I'm wondering if maybe you'd like to explore - or put on your list for another time - the lovely Smithfield Station in Smithfield, Va. Great quaint town, lots of history. You could drive to Va. Beach. See what you think:

http://www.smithfieldstation.com/

And also perhaps the beautiful Tides Inn near the bay:

http://www.tidesinn.com/

5. Re: So confused and Indecisive! Please Help on Hotel!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach