We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas of free fun things to do at Virginia beach

Toronto
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ideas of free fun things to do at Virginia beach

Hello, We'll be in VB for 7 nites beginning in August, and I'm taking my kids parasailing, and we know about some of the free nite life like circus in the street on 17th st., but can you recommend some other free events that only people that have been to VB would know?

Thank you for reading.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas of free fun things to do at Virginia beach

Let me give you a one stop shopping site for links to area coupons like Sunny Day and the visitor's guide:

visitvirginiabeach.com/visitors/articles/cou…

The circus I think you're talking about is the Beach Street performers starting at 17th and going up several blocks and on side streets. There is one act we like to catch...Hilby. He performs on the side street...I think 21 but can't remember. He'll be there 8/7-15 and is very popular. He does things like riding a unicycle, juggling flames, a power saw, balls, and is very funny and great with the audiences.

There is also FamFest going on then:

http://www.beachfamfest.com/

There are several stages for free performances of different types...7th St., 17,24,31 Streets

Check out events and entertainment at www.vbfun.com and www. beachstreetusa.com

You'll see fireworks. Here's the schedule:

visitvirginiabeach.com/visitors/articles/fir…

There are playground in the sand I'll list below.

And First Landing State Park and Back Bay are good low cost options.

I'm copying here a list I included in another post of free and low cost things to do. Check them out. Where there are no links, just google or look them up here.

At 2nd in the sand area is Grommet Island Park, a playground and park for physically challenged children and adults as well as able bodied. http://www.grommetisland.org/

Around 10th in the sand is a small play area.

The Atlantic Wildfowl and Heritage Museum at 12 St.

At 13th is The Virginia Legends Walk, honoring Virginians who have made important national and world contributions in their lives, such as Capt. John Smith, Robert E. Lee, James Madison, Edgar Allen Poe, Ella Fitzgerald, Arthur Ashe, Douglas MacArthur, Thomas Jefferson among others ;

At 15th is the Virginia Beach Fishing Pier. For a fee you can walk out on the pier to admire the view or to fish;

Also at 15th is the Amusement Park.

Fireworks are shot off from the ocean around 20th.

The Old Coast Guard Station at 24th St.

At 25th is the Naval Aviation Monument. This Monument pays tribute to the Navy, Marine Corp and Coast Guard aviation from the early 1900s through the present. Bronze sculptures feature real people from the past depicting significant events in history. Laser etched granite storyboards give you information on the sculpture, event and period as you walk through;

Also at 25th is the Norwegian Lady Statue. This lovely lady stands in commemoration of lives lost and saved during the tragic shipwreck of a sailing vessel from Moss, Norway in 1891. Her sister statue stands in Moss, Norway.

At 31st is the King Neptune Statue and Neptune Park. The bronze sculpture is 34' tall, including his trident. It weighs 12.5 tons replete with sea creatures...dolphins, octopus, sea turtle, lobster and fish. Neptune Park is one of the locations of Virginia Beach festivities and events.

Somewhere around 30th is another small play area you'll see in the sand.

Mentioned in this post
VIrginia Legends Walk
VIrginia Legends Walk
41 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Virginia Beach Fishing Pier
Virginia Beach Fishing...
160 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Naval Aviation Monument
Naval Aviation Monument
105 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Norwegian Lady Statue
Norwegian Lady Statue
47 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Norway
Norway
Europe
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas of free fun things to do at Virginia beach

PS Some hotels offer free bicycles.

Toronto
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas of free fun things to do at Virginia beach

wow, you guys are awesome. this is good info. I have to take notes. thank you.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas of free fun things to do at Virginia beach

You might also drive over to the observation park located on Oceana Boulevard near the runways to watch jets take-off and land. The POW/MIA Flame of Hope Memorial Park is open to the public.

Bike or hike through Back Bay Wildlife Refuge to go to False Cape State Park.

Mentioned in this post
False Cape State Park
False Cape State Park
100 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas of free fun things to do at Virginia beach

Battleship Wisconsin docked at Waterside in Norfolk is free.

Mentioned in this post
Norfolk
Norfolk
Virginia
Toronto
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas of free fun things to do at Virginia beach

what do you do at Battleship Wisconsin docked at Waterside?

thanks.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas of free fun things to do at Virginia beach

It's one of the largest and last battleships built by our Navy. There's a self-guided tour. However, I just looked again at the website and see that the city of Norfolk has taken over the Wisconsin and admission is no longer FREE. It's INCLUDED in admission to Nauticus, the naval museum next to the battleship. Hrmph.

Mentioned in this post
Norfolk
Norfolk
Virginia
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
8. Re: Ideas of free fun things to do at Virginia beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach