We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

did virginia beach get hit bad?

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
did virginia beach get hit bad?

sorry if this is a dumb question but im not from the coast nor have i been that way but am going to be in VA sept 6th...i know the hurricane will be gone by then but has there been some damage to the resort area?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: did virginia beach get hit bad?

Not a dumb question at all. The true extent of the damages will take a few days, but we have numerous power outages, flooding, debris, trees down, but overall not as bad as anticipated. I suspect by Sept things will be fine for your visit. I would call ahead before you come.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: did virginia beach get hit bad?

Okay thank u! And is it true weather is usually gorgeous after hurricane?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: did virginia beach get hit bad?

It is a beautiful day today-hot blue sjys.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: did virginia beach get hit bad?

Yeah, no humidity today. Perfect weather for raking up leaves and dragging broken branches to the street.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: did virginia beach get hit bad?

Sounds like my day Wendy-hope your home did not sustain too much damage.

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: did virginia beach get hit bad?

Am planning (was planning) to take myself and 9yo to VA Beach Aug 30-Sept 1 but now wondering if we would be spending those days in the middle of a trashed, messy area without power too! Am trying to reach hotels there too but concerned they may be biased in what they say. Can anyone there now provide some insight into what we might be coming into? Thanks!

Akron, OH
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: did virginia beach get hit bad?

I've been reading updates on WAVY TV's Facebook page. To me it sounds like there is still a lot of cleaning up to do here and there, with power outages.

I live in Ohio, though and was wondering if it would be cleaned up by Sept. 12. Just want to know if there will be a lot of junk on the beaches and closed restaurants. Also, did the Dismal Swamp Canal bike trail get washed out?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: did virginia beach get hit bad?

Bikinginohio,

The Chesapeake Parks and Recreation Dept is currently assessing the status of the Dismal Swamp Canal Trail and no report yet, should know something tomorrow. You can call 757 421-7151 to reach the Rangers handling DSCT and I'll try to post an update. Hope this helps.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: did virginia beach get hit bad?

I'd heard there was a fire in the Dismal Swamp prior to Irene so between that and the hurricane it didn't sound good. At least the rain hopefully put out the fires I guess.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: did virginia beach get hit bad?

Bikingohio-if you are staying at the oceanfront you will be fine. We were down there yesterday (Sun), beaches beautiful, businesses all open, restaurants serving. I would call ahead to where you are staying.

Yes many people are without power still but that should not affect your visit.

yojumbo-the rain helped with the fire, but according to reports, it is not completely out, but it should definitely help that's for sure.

The fire is not a huge issue all day long anyway.

Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach