We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach

Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach

Hi everyone. I'm a 20 year old female who will be graduating from college in 2 months. My parents are gonna take me and my brothers(twin 16 year olds) on vacation for my graduation gift. Where should we go?? Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach??? What is the difference??? As you can see I haven't researched it much just want opinions first.

Thanks so much

Gurt

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach

Myrtle Beach is much larger than Virginia Beach. With a few exceptions, at VB you can pretty much park your car for the week and walk everywhere you need to go or take a trolley. At MB, there are many Vegas-style shows to go to. In that sense, MB has more variety of activities.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
446 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach

My answer to this question would depend on what you are looking to do once you got to your destination.

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
41 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach

OK, here's the deal. Virginia beach has a much better beach than the so called 'grand strand' of myrtle. v/b has a great 3 mile boardwalk! there's absolutely no boardwalk at myrtle. there is a separate multi-use path parraleling the boardwalk at v/b for skateboarding, biking, rollerblading etc. in the off season you can ride right on the boardwalk! by the way, the 'boardwalk is actually concrete; not wood like Wildwood or atlantic city. there are high rise hotels with oceanfront units, great food and some clubs with good nightlife. for a beach vacation for someone your age - it's virginia beach. you won't go wrong! you'll have a great time which ever one you pick. have fun. -Jack

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
41 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach

OK, here's the deal. Virginia beach has a much better beach than the so called 'grand strand' of myrtle. v/b has a great 3 mile boardwalk! there's absolutely no boardwalk at myrtle. there is a separate multi-use path parraleling the boardwalk at v/b for skateboarding, biking, rollerblading etc. in the off season you can ride right on the boardwalk! by the way, the 'boardwalk is actually concrete; not wood like Wildwood or atlantic city. there are high rise hotels with oceanfront units, great food and some clubs with good nightlife. for a beach vacation for someone your age - it's virginia beach. you won't go wrong! you'll have a great time which ever one you pick. have fun. -Jack

ohio
Level Contributor
587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach

myrtle beach has amusements parks, water parks, great shopping. I would pick myrtle beach hands down. check the number of posts to the myrtle beach site vs. the virginia beach site. virginia beach is a large city. myrtle beach is a resort city. have fun.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach

Definitely Myrtle Beach! Once your day is done at the beach, Virginia Beach doesn't have much to offer with the exception of just a couple of bars and a strip of stores that I swear looks like they have the same stuff year after year (I'm at Virginia Beach almost every weekend in the summer because it's so close to where I live). Myrtle Beach, on the other hand, has tons of stuff to keep you busy after a day at the beach: Hard Rock Cafe, Nascar Cafe, shopping, tons of bars, and really nice people.

Smithfield, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach

I am close to your age- maybe my opinion will help you out. I went to Myrtle Beach once and will probably never go back. There are only a few shows and I wouldn't say they are Vegas style. More like maybe Orlando. There are murder mystery dinner shows in Virginia Beach as well. Myrtle Beach is mostly about the beach (I don't know what's so great about it) and golf. The only thing I liked about Myrtle Beach was the great putt-putt! There are tons of museums in the Virginia Beach area; Busch Gardens and King's Dominion (amusement parks) are near by. For water parks you have Water Country USA and a smaller scale Ocean Breeze. In my opinion Myrtle Beach was totally over rated and a huge disappointment.

new york
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach

hi1 i was in myrthe beach last summer 2005, and i think is a great place for your brother and you. in myrthe beach there a place call broadway on the beach, it is a place where you find all kinds of stores you will like and restaurants like johnny rocketsmany more. i havent been to virginia yet going on this summer,but i recoment myrthe beach to you. and if you want to know more about mb go to myrtle beach.com or just go to yahoo or goggle and it will come uot ok hope my riple help you.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach

Hi Gurt. I'm 30 and have lived in Virginia Beach the past 20 years. I've never been to Myrtle Beach, but my husband has and has told me about it.

VB is a more family orientated place in general. The beaches are OK, a bit crowded in the summer (but this is coming from a local). As far as activities at the beach, there is the strip w/ your basic hotels, shops, and beach front restaurants. In my opinion, nothing special - but again, I am a local. The prices are usually $150 and up for a hotel room on the beach in the summer. Think a bit higher for a nicer hotel. The Virginia Marine Science Musuem, Ocean Breeze Fun Park (small water park/batting cage/go carts), and Seashore State Park are within ten minutes of the beach. There are several bars/dance clubs, only one that I know of that caters to 21 and under. You can rent different equipment depending on what interests you have (bikes, jet skis, boogie boards, inline skates, etc). To really see anything in this area though, you have to be willing to travel.

Busch Gardens and Water Country are in Williamsburg, which is roughly an hour from the beach. They're fun, just a bit pricey when you're talking about a whole family (generally $50 a ticket at BG, $30 for WC). There's also Colonial Williamsburg, but I personally think that's boring and a waste of money. Norfolk has a minor baseball team, Naticus Museum (maritime type museum), restaurants, small shops, botanical gardens, and other activities. Virginia Beach and Portsmouth both have ampitheaters, you can catch a show almost any Friday or Saturday. Downtown Norfolk has festevents, just depends on what weekend your here. All cities have LOTS of shoppings, and several nices malls. You can also visit the outerbanks of North Carolina, which is anywhere from 35 minutes to 2 hours drive.

As far as Myrtle Beach goes, my husband has said that part of the beach is family orientated and part of it is a "party orientated". He personally thinks the beach itself is much nicer, stating that its quite a bit wider and seems less crowded. He also said there is more to do there, meaning you don't have to travel to far away from the beach. He did stress that it's a bit more expensive, which is part of the reason we haven't visited it together. Good luck making your choice, and please feel free to post again if you have any other questions about Va. Beach.

Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach
Recent Conversations