We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning our 10 year anniversay weekend....please?

New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning our 10 year anniversay weekend....please?

K, so were celebrating our 10 year anniversay and its on July 13th 2012. We are driving down from New York, im hoping we'll take Friday off and stay until Sunday. Were in our early 40's, drinkers, we love good dinners in layd back kind of atmosphers preferably on the beach. Ive read a few reviews that said Bubba's and Toutog's were good. I was looking at Marriott Inn and Hampton Inn, wondering if you guys could suggest something there as well, preferebly somthing on the beach. I would also really love to take a ride to Busch Gardens, were huge ride freeks! Would you advise it and how far of a ride would it be from Virginia Beach? Also any, nightlife location suggestions would be great.

Thank you for reading. Hope i was specific enuff. Cant wait to hear all your comments/suggestions!

Virginia Beach...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning our 10 year anniversay weekend....please?

Congrats! We're also celebrating our 10 year anniversary in May and I'm trying to find a place to go also. Except we live in Va Beach, so we're trying to go somewhere else. But I'll give you some advice for the area.

Restauants - Tautog (great) is at the oceanfront and does not have ocean view but is in an old beach cottage - definitly recommend. Bubba's (good). Near Bubba's is Chick's Oyster Bar we prefer over Bubba's - great food, deck right on the water. There are 4 restaurants right on the water (Bay not the oceanfront) that you can't go wrong - Bubba's, Shellfish Co., Dockside and Chick's Oyster Bar. All within walk of each other.

Oceanfront restaurants with good view, atmosphere and bars - Watermans and Mahi Mah's. Catch 31 is pricey bar/food but super nice. Doc Taylor's for breakfast/lunch - awesome. Beach Bully for casual lunch/dinner - pulled pork and BBQ.

Check out www.hamptonroads.com or www.beachstreetusa.com for event calendar and free concerns at various stages on the boardwalk.

Hotels - Oceanfront hotel would be best for atmosphere, but you'll pay much more than if you stayed off the beach. Depends what you want. Sunspree Hotel is usually reasonable price and nice.

Busch Gardens is only 45 min drive - definitly go for the day. Look to get discount coupon at Wendy's $15 or other places.

Hope that helps!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning our 10 year anniversay weekend....please?

By Marriott Inn do you mean Marriott Courtyard? At any rate, there are two Courtyards, North and South; and two Hampton Inns, North and South.

They are spaced apart at 10th, 25th, 31st and 37th. 10th and 31st and 37th are quieter locations.

Hampton Inn South was built in 2010; North was a total reno of fhte former Days Inn in 2008. It still looks great.

Courtyard North finished a renovation about June 2010. I know Courtyard South had a lobby renovation about 2010/11 ish and I hear the rooms were redone then too.

(Renos every few years are needed at the beach...and hoped for)

We also like Springhill Suites beside Hampton Inn South. They have a large suite, the 800 sq ft suite, for special occasions and a nice outdoor pool which is on it's own lot beside the hotel so that it is always in the sun and not covered by the hotel shade as it would be if it were behind the hotel. There are water spouts along the sides which make it attractive and small bar/sandwhich area too.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning our 10 year anniversay weekend....please?

PS I hear some hotels are requiring a three night stay on weekends. Let us know how it goes for you. Don't know if you mean you'd arrive Thursday night. Personally I think a 3 night Friday through Sunday requirement is ridiculous. Many people come for weekends only and like to stay Friday and Saturday. Let us know what you find out.

New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning our 10 year anniversay weekend....please?

Wow, Maureen M, so much info, ty so much! On congrats on your upcoming 10 year as well!

Explorer 3, i will post as soon as i find out for sure, but so far when ive checked rates on line there letting me check in on Friday and check out Sunday. and i belive both of the hotels were North? but its great and sounds like regardless they were all recently rennovated! Ty for the info

New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning our 10 year anniversay weekend....please?

Hey, exploerer3, just so u know, i booked our room yesterday at the Hampton in ocean front North, were checking in friday and staying sat. so were only staying 2 nights, to answer your question, for that particular hotel there was no minimum, but i also booked thru AAA so i dont know if that made a difference. Hope that helped.

6. Re: Need help planning our 10 year anniversay weekend....please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach