We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

new york
Level Contributor
779 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

We have narrowed it down to one of the above.

The Econo Lodge Oceanfront only has a 2 star rating on here, but the reviews are positive. And Econo Lodge includes continental breakfast while Capes does not.

We are looking for a clean place to stay with nice views for a family with teenagers.

if anyone has any opinions i would appreciate it.

Southwest VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

I stayed at EconoLodge as part of a large group and was extremely satisfied. Not sure anything about the Capes, but I would highly recommond EconoLodge.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

I've stayed at several hotels and the Capes is our go to hotel for great value without sacrificing quality. I haven't stayed at Econolodge.

The Capes is always spotless. The refrigerator is not tiny...next step up so that it accommodates more. Good size rooms. It is not a chain. It is privately owned and professionally so. It is not enormous which we like. They have Value Days throughout the summer, an added benefit. The location is right beside the bike rental, but I think Econolodge is just a block further. Both have a good view of the fireworks. We have never had a problem with parking around the hotel. We often just park our car with beach gear in the trunk and use it as our beach chair/blanket closet for the time we're there. It's on the way to the beach and we don't need to take all that sandy stuff upstairs.

new york
Level Contributor
779 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

Thank you , both!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

Let us know how they work out for you.

new york
Level Contributor
779 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

Booked the Capes; Seems like a good place for us since we are so many people-myslef and dh, and 3 "kids" and one friend per kid (kids are ages 24,19. and 14). We booked 2 rooms, one 2 room unit with 3 dbls, and one with 2 dbls. I like the fact that they have a balcony, and micro/fridge in each room. Only concern is the parking situation. iIve read a few comments that parking may be at a premium?

Not going til August- will let you know how it worked out

Thanks again!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

Parking is a few spaces directly in front and many more on the side. I sometimes think people don't notice the side spaces. If you do take a car out and return late in high season you may need to park about a block away. Check with the front desk. They arrange something with payment.

There are a number of restaurants you can walk to, many along the boardwalk. You can also utilize the Wave bus that goes up and down Atlantic Ave as well as a route to shopping and museum.

I think the two room units are always on the end. At least that's where I've always seen them. That means they run from front to back of the hotel. So you get lots of light from both sides.

I think they have coffee in the lobby in the mornings and not sure what else. We haven't gone for that.

You will feel like it's an old European tiny hotel or an inn since it's not commercialized. You can all congregate in the room to the side off the lobby if you like. There's never been too many people there. I think the living room area of the suite will give you that opportunity too.

Remember about their back door entry lock. They have a system to unlock it after a certain time.

The little cafe there is always handy...and the terrace with more tables for the restaurant is also a nice relaxing location to get a bite. I forget their current hours but it's been breakfast and lunch times at least.

To the right of the hotel is the bike and surry rental.

Check out www.vbfun.com for events during your stay. And www.beachstreetusa.com as well for events and fireworks schedule also during your stay.

Keep asking questions as they occur to you.

Pittsburgh
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

Is there a place close to the Capes to rent beach umbrellas and chairs? Thanks.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

Yes. All the rentals. Here's a coupon too.

sunnydayguide.com/virginia_beach/dynamic/pdf…

Here's a complete list of their locations from their write up but, yes, right by Capes.

"We are Virginia Beach's oldest and largest rental company. We rent bikes, tandems, family bikes, in-line skates, chairs and umbrellas at affordable prices along the boardwalk. We have 13 locations covering the entire oceanfront: Schooner Inn - 2nd street, Quality Inn - 8th street, Atlantic Sands -11th street, Travelodge -19th street, The Capes -20th street, Comfort Inn - 21st street, Marjac Suites - 22nd street, Comfort Inn - 23rd street, Days Inn -24th street, Bluewater Gift Shop - 25th and Atlantic Ave, Hampton Inn - 31st street, Sheraton -36th street and Holiday Inn Sunspree - 39th street. We offer new equipment at discount prices."

Edited: 30 May 2012, 05:48
Pittsburgh
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

Thanks!

Blackwood, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Econo Lodge or Capes Hotel?

Explorer3-Was following this strand and wanted to say THANKS! We were looking for a clean, cost efficient place to stay in VB-first timers-and booked the Capes taking advantage of the super value week which allowed us to extend our vacation a few more nights :) Can't wait to beach it!

Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach