We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandbridge questions

Chicago
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
sandbridge questions

Hello, my family and I will be traveling to VA Beach the first week in July. We rented a condo at Sandbridge Dunes in Sanbridge. We have been to VA Beach a few times, however we have never been to Sandbridge. I understand it is a more laid back / relaxed atmosphere, but I was wondering how far of a drive is it to the main area of VA Beach? And are there any places to eat or shop in Sandbridge? If so recommendations are welcome. Also, if anyone has ever stayed at the Sandbridge Dunes condos any input you could provide would be helpful. thank you!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sandbridge questions

It's a 25-minute drive from SD to 21st and Atlantic (roughly center of the resort strip).

It's about a 10-minute drive from the condo to Red Mill Commons, a large shopping center with some decent restaurants, which you'll see on your way in to Sandbridge.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
351 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sandbridge questions

In Sandbridge only Sandbridge Island Restaurant/Pizza ( good food) and Margie and ???? Seafood up the road like 3 minutes. Sandbridge market has all your basics, but Walmart and Foodlion are up in Red Mill area. Sandbridge has all the character of Hatteras, with the resort area only 20 minutes away. SB is definitely a much nicer place to stay than a boardwalk area hotel IMO.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sandbridge questions

Thanks for the information!!

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sandbridge questions

Ok....

I've made it to Sandbridge to Va Beach resort area in 20 minutes early in the morning or later at night with no traffic.

HOWEVER... It has also taken me over an hour to drive from Sandbridge to Va Beach Resort Area on a busy July 4th weekend.

I would say 20 minutes is your best bet, but expect 30+ on the weekend.

The road leading in and out of Sandbridge is a single lane each way... This can cause backups. Also, the resort area traffic can be a nightmare with people constantly crossing the streets causing the cars to stop...

Midwest
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sandbridge questions

Nothing more to add except that you will love Sandbridge Beach. We are going this summer for our 3rd time. I wish I would have found it years ago. We do our grocery shopping at Walmart and if we go out to eat we do something in that area. Enjoy!

Altoona...
Level Contributor
351 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sandbridge questions

Our longest trip Resort area to SB was on the 2nd of this year, with the Patriotic weekend traffic, only about 40 minutes. Several truips mid afternoon were in the 20 minute range during the week. On a Holiday weekend I can see it taking an hour, but still 1000% better than trying to get onto OBX on a Saturday LOL. Also never had any traffic problems on Sandbridge road, even checking in at 3PM on the 2nd this year, no issues. Agree on the traffic movement in the resort area, we usually try to stay on Pacific, seems to be less pedestrian traffic than Atlantic.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
46 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sandbridge questions

Sandbridge has Zest Restaurant at the entrance right across from the fire station. Baja Restaurant at the end of Sandpiper by the colorful condos and Little Island. Margie and Rays a little way up Sandbridge Road towards Red Mill. Lago Mar Pizza just before you get to Red Mill and then Red Mill has quite a few restaurants. The drive to the Oceanfront from Sandbridge will probably take no more than 45 min on a heavy traffic day.

8. Re: sandbridge questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach