We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time vacationing in virginia beach-help!

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Chester...
Level Contributor
176 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
first time vacationing in virginia beach-help!

This is our first time in Virginia Beach and I really dont know where to rent-there wll be my husband and I; daughter, hubby and 18 month old grandaughter and daughter & boyfriend. we would like 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and thinking condo with pool would be great for grandaughter. I was looking at Virginia Beach and also saw Sandbridge Dunes..how far away is that. Our dates are late June, 2013 and I am thinking between $2500-$3000 for the week..any good ideas or recommdations? There is just soooo much out there and I have spent hours already and need advice..many thanks..

Altoona...
Level Contributor
333 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time vacationing in virginia beach-help!

Therwe are several beach areas in Virginia Beach Proper. The resort beach with the boardwalk and shops on Atlantic Avenue. To the south about 20 -25 minutes is Sandbridge Beach. Also a very nice wide guarded beach and still within the environs of Virginia Beach Proper. Sandbridge is more like the Outer Banks in NC and often referred to as Virginia's outer banks. Primarily rental homes in the area with two condo units. A few small shops and restaurants but without the 'glitz' of the resort area. This is the area where Sandbridge dunes is located and is our favorite area, but we also don't have younger shildren, or for that matter any children still at home LOL. Directly north of the resort area is another slower paced stretch with nice beaches, and much closer to the resort area. On the Chesapeake Bay is the Chix Beach area. Also a nice beach, but with generally much gentler surf by virtue of fronting the bay not the Atlantic. This area is located near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Generally in June i you could probably get a full house in your price range with a private pool in the Sandbridge area. The trip to the Resort area is really not a bad trip, and the pace and Sandbridge is much slower than downtown. There is plenty of parking within a block of the beach for like $10.00 all day in the municipal lots for those days you want to ventuire onto boardwalk. The VA aquarium, Motor World Kart Park and the Water Park on General Booth Boulevard, the main road between Sandbridge and the Resort. Much closer to the resort area, but still easily accesssible from Sandbridge. The area north of the resort is also primarily a residential area, and busier than Sandbridge, but also much closer to the Bpardwalk area. If you can provide a bit more information in what you would prefer in the ways of Beach activities, do you want excitement or quieter areas for your down time, Is the Sand and Water more important or are you looking for ancillary beach excitement and crowds? Would you like gentler surf or is the fuller surf of the Atlantic OK? This is all part of the attraction of Virginia Beach over some other beach areas. Lots of choices within 30 - 40 minutes of each other ;) A couple links to help you decide. You can download the Vacation guide from here http://www.visitvirginiabeach.com/visitors/ and here is information 'Beach Street USA" in the resort area http://www.beachstreetusa.com/ A lot of info may not be available for next year this late in the season but it can give you a feel for what is available. Add in Fireworks on the beach Wed and Saturday night during the high season and VB is the complete package and why we keep coming back after trying other beaches ;)

West Chester...
Level Contributor
176 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time vacationing in virginia beach-help!

thank you very much for taking the time to provide very good info. after talking it over with family, we like the idea of sandbridge beach area. we want to spend some time at the beach but not the crowds, so driving to the boardwalk for the day is preferable to being in the center of things all the time. So, now, i am looking into the differences between the Sanctuary or Sandbridge Dunes..any ideas here?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
149 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time vacationing in virginia beach-help!

See my prior post on the 2 condos.

PE

West Chester...
Level Contributor
176 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time vacationing in virginia beach-help!

Going to the Sanctuary at Sandbridge for the first time next week..looking for recommendations for family type restuarants..especially breakfasts. also any other things we should know? Probably going to venture into Virginia Beach area for a day/evening..parking, shopping? what about driving suggestions coming from West Chester/Philly area? Many thanks!

5. Re: first time vacationing in virginia beach-help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach