We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

New York
Level Contributor
913 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

We're from NY where smoking is not allowed in restaurants (even in outdoor seating areas). We're hoping Virginia Beach has this same law & that it is enforced. However, while reading restaurant reviews here on TA.....we came across a few posts that describe a restaurant as "smokey" or "smelling like smoke" so now we're a little concerned. We eat all our dinners out and mostly dine al fresco when available. Thanks!!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

I don't know for sure. I haven't noticed smoking when we lunched at Mahi Mah's outdoors the little place at Capes or had early dinner outdoors at Waterman's or Latitudes or other places along the boardwalk and at the inlet . We haven't noticed a smoky smell either even indoors. In the evenings we generally listen check out Beachstreet or the entertainment at the stages on the Boardwalk and just mostly enjoy the boardwalk so we're not aware of night time smoking.

I do wonder if it is considered that outdoor dining has the requisite separate ventilation system and wall separating it for smoking facility.

FYI, Gov. Kaine signed the legistlation against smoking in Va restaurants actually in VB...and in one of the restaurants, Croc's. He gave as the reason “We’re not here by accident,” Kaine said before signing. “Why we’re signing this bill here at Croc’s is Virginia Beach restaurants’ leadership on this effort. The statewide association went wild about this, but the Virginia Beach restaurants were very cooperative.” (FYI, Croc's was smoke free two years before it became law).

That said, I know there is no no-smoking choice in a NY restaurant because it's all no smoking...at least the ones I've been in. Tell me if this is different in Va....In Va a restaurant can offer a smoking section only if that area is walled off and has its own ventilation. (Also, private clubs are exempt in VA.)

New York
Level Contributor
913 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

Thanks, explorer3. I hope someone can give us a definitive answer on this prior to our trip. We always vacation in Ocean City, Md but decided to try VB instead this year. The smoking issue would be a deal-breaker for us. We're both ex-smokers, and now just can't stand the smell of it!!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

I have asthma and can't take it either so I notice quickly when it's around. In my personal acitivites I haven't smelled it last few years.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

Restaurants are allowed if they want, to permit smoking on patios and other outdoor areas. Many restaurants in VA do, so you'll have to check each restaurant to find out what their policy is.

Here is a link to a summary of the Virginia Indoor Clean Air Act:

http://www.gasp.org/cleanairact.html

New York
Level Contributor
913 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

Thanks, Tango. I was afraid of that :(

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
228 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

Do not know all the rules but I don’t smoke and don’t like to be around it. Never had a problem in any restaurant I have gone to in VAB the past 30 years. I would not worry too much or make it a deal breaker

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

No they are not.I will tell you this...It is better to stay at a hotel that is inland and drive to the beach. I have been here my entire 43 years of life and you can go to the beach for a day...ok I've seen it, now what? I myself don't even go to the beach because I don't like swimming with critters. Here you can't see to the bottom of the ocean. So stay in like Chesapeake, it's like 20 minutes away, pay to park in one of the lots that you will be able to park all day. I will gladly help you with a list of the reputable hotels. in Chesapeake. If you want to stay at the beach...I will still help you find one. Virginia Beach is the hometown of Gabby Douglas, she won the all around gold metal in Gymnastics in the Olympics this past summer. There is a huge mural painted on a building with her on it. Many people like to stop and take pictures. Downtown Norfolk has many historical areas and museums...Gen Douglas McArthur is buried there. We also have a new railway system called ride the tide. Strongly suggest parking at a park n ride place and catching the Tide into Downtown Norfolk. I think it's $1.50 to ride round trip reduced prices for those who are disabled etc. So if you would like a native's help...just let me know. Take Care,

snoopyfan6200

New York
Level Contributor
913 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

Thanks, snoopyfan!! Always love a local's input :)

We are already booked to camp for 9 days at First Landing State Park. We are a pretty outdoorsy, adventurous family who all LOVE the water!! We live a block away from the LI Sound & we still don't vacation anywhere unless it's on the water. We bike, hike, swim, kayak, explore, sunbathe, etc all day then head into "town" at night for dinner & drinks.

You've answered my question re: smoking (not what I wanted to hear). So, now my question is "do you know any restaurants on the water that prohibit smoking at the outdoor tables"? Also, being budget-minded........are there any great food or drink specials that you like? Early birds, Happy Hours, Nightly Deals, etc?

Thanks for the help!!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

Ahhh now I see. OK...while I am getting you the REAL info. Could you please tell me how many people are in your party? And the ages of any kids please. Please leave your pets at home with another family member, their vet, or have someone pet sit for you. Especially for dogs, because between Memorial Day and Labor Day dogs are NOT allowed in certain areas. Article below explains it. All I can say is that's the beach for you...My friend one time honked his horn like 4 times in celebration of something...cop motioned him over, he almost got a ticket for a noise violation for excessive use of the horn. I kid you not. Now if you are on the patio outdoors yes you can smoke because it is considered being outdoors. Hey...did I see right just now...are you from NY??? LI Sound?? What does that mean? If you want to do all the outdoor things you mentioned..I know the area where you are going to stay, but what time of year are you coming? And are you using a 5th wheel, motor home, or a tent? This information would really help me provide the best information back to you.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Teresa

By Sarah Hutchins

The Virginian-Pilot

© July 5, 2012

VIRGINIA BEACH

'Tis the season in Virginia Beach.

Just not for dogs.

From Memorial Day to Labor Day, officials ban dogs on the beach, the Boardwalk and the grass west of the Boardwalk from Rudee Inlet to 42nd Street.

At all other public beaches, there's a canine curfew. Dogs can be on them only before 10 a.m. or after 6 p.m., according to the city code. They don't need to be on a leash, but they do need to be under control, licensed and up to date on their rabies vaccinations.

The city recently increased its ability to enforce rules involving animals on the beach. While police have always been able to issue summonses to violators, the City Council has extended the same authority to Animal Control officers, said Lt. David Squires, who oversees Animal Control enforcement operations for the Police Department.

"We'll make every effort to be proactive in visiting the beaches where the rules apply," Squires said. Dog owners "should expect to see us over the course of the summer."

Last year, 1,898 dog-related charges were concluded in South Hampton Roads' General District courts. Of those, only seven - all in Virginia Beach - involved dogs on beaches.

Most violations result in a Class 4 misdemeanor conviction, punishable by up to a $250 fine.

The worst offense? Squires said ignoring dog poop, which is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

It's gross to pick up, but it beats a possible jail sentence of up to 12 months and a fine of up to $2,500.

Sarah Hutchins, 757-222-5131, sarah.hutchins@pilotonline.com

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the outdoor seating areas of restaurants smoke-free?

I am hoping that this information will be helpful for you. If not, please let me know and I will do whatever I can to help.

www.vdh.state.va.us/breatheeasy/tenThings.htm

Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach
Recent Conversations