We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report as promised :). Part 1

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
901 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report as promised :). Part 1

Our family just returned from a 9 day vacation to VB. It was me, my hubby & our 2 teens. I want to start by thanking everyone who helped make this such a great trip. I read tons of reviews/ posts and asked a bunch of questions in prep for this get-a-way and all the advice rec'd was invaluable. Now on to the good stuff.............

We left NY on 8/23 at 5:30am and arrived at First Landing State Campground at 2:30pm after a 9 hour drive. We quickly set up camp and drove through VB resort area to get a feel of the place. It started to rain and we decided on dinner at Olive Garden. Normally we don't do chain restaurants but we had rec'd a gift card for OG, so we figured "might as well". I have to say the fam liked it a lot. It probably didn't hurt that we were all starving :). We drove back to camp and decided to take a walk on the beach as the rain had stopped. A great first night!!

Saturday found us looking for a dentist as my hubby lost a filling the day before. We were lucky to fing Dr Konikoff's office who got my hubby in and out by 10am! Our butts were on the beach all day after that. I don't think we rolled off till 7ish. Quick showers and off to the boardwalk where we had dinner at Shoreline Grill. The food was just okay, but it was nice to dine outdoors. We checked out some of the BeachStreet USA acts (Witch of Pongo, Aviation History, FunkFest) which we really enjoyed then finished the night with some Ben & Jerry's.

On Sunday, we tried to look for a local church, but Mapquest had other ideas :). We ended up at mass a million miles away from camp, but it was a nice service and we always enjoy seeing different churches. After church, we hit Food Lion.......BORING!! Then back to the beach. The kids got a kick out of seeing both the cargo ships out in the bay and the military aircraft overhead. Actually, we all did! Dinner this night was at Chicho's. They had great pizza & beer specials and live Reggae music on the deck. We all were happy with this choice! On Atlantic Ave we sat for more street acts.......Kenyan Acrobats & Aaron Bonk (.com) with Dairy Queen for dessert. We had a lot of fun :)

Monday we decided to sleep in as we had been keeping very late hours! After a hearty breakfast at camp we decided to bike the Cape Henry Trail. It was such a great ride with lots of picturesque scenery. Next we hiked the Cypress Swamp Trail, which was a highlight for my son - we saw lots of birds and turtles and of course the Spanish moss on the trees - beautiful! We decided on lunch at Tradewinds which again offers okay food and a great view! The breeze on their deck is incredible and when the kids finished lunch they were able to hang out on the beach right below while hubby & I sat for awhile. We spent the evening on the beach and watched the sunset. My favorite time at the beach is between 4pm & 7pm when everyone else has gone home and you have it all to yourself!! Dinner was sausage on the grill, followed by a campfire. Loving VB so far!!

I'm kinda tired, so I'll wrap this up tomorrow :)

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report as promised :). Part 1

Wonderful report. You've already done so much. Can't wait to read the rest.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report as promised :). Part 1

I agree -- looking forward to reading part 2.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
333 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report as promised :). Part 1

Sounds like a success so far!!

New York
Level Contributor
901 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report as promised :). Part 1

Thanks for reading! I just posted Part 2 :)

Level Contributor
750 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report as promised :). Part 1

A little late to the party but thanks for posting such fabulous details! Sorry about your search for a church - you don't want to know how close you were to two :(

New York
Level Contributor
901 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report as promised :). Part 1

LoL :) We found that out later in the trip, bdaygirl.

7. Re: Trip Report as promised :). Part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach