We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VA Beach Whale Watching Tours

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
VA Beach Whale Watching Tours

So I am looking to plan a surprise getaway weekend for myself and my hubby the weekend of Feb. 7th. I would love to do the whale watching tours. Has anyone done this? Is it pretty likely that we may see one? I know there is no way to say for sure but just curious if they are spotted frequently. I see there are a few tours a day, is any time of the day better than another for the chances to spot one. Also is there a risk of tickets selling out, should I purchase ahead of time? We are typically always there in September, any recommendations of things to due during the winters months during our stay?

Thanks so much!

Tammy

Edited: 19 January 2014, 20:42
Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VA Beach Whale Watching Tours

In Feburary i wouldn't worry about the tickets running out. I would check with them the day you get there. if the ocean is rough, don;t go. i've been when its rough and it is no fun. if it is not stormy or rough, go and have a great time. We have done it both ways, It pays to wait till you get there and make your decision on which tour to take. The people at Rudee Inlet are realy nice.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 05:25
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VA Beach Whale Watching Tours

You'll be there for the Polar Plunge (benefits Special Olympics) -- even if you aren't participating, go and see the crowd plunge. http://polarplunge.com/

There's a boat show at the Convention Center.

cleveland, oh
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: VA Beach Whale Watching Tours

My parents have gone in march before and seen whales, but when I went also in march we didn't see any. I think its pretty hit or miss that time of year. There's a really good chance you'll at least see dolphins though.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 19:42
cleveland, oh
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: VA Beach Whale Watching Tours

My parents have gone in march before and seen whales, but when I went also i march we didn't see any. I think its pretty hit or miss that time of year. There's a really good chance you'll at least see dolphins though.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VA Beach Whale Watching Tours

I just went on the Winter Wildlife Trip (aka whale watching trip), here are 2 reviews including mine:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g58277-d44…

I had a great time, whale sightings about a dozen times.....could have been only a couple of whales (or many) but we saw them often. We usually saw the back or tale. If you are considering Va Beach Fishing Center for your trip, contact them and ask for best time of day for sightings, I went on the noon to 2pm trip. It was VERY cold so check the weather forecast and be prepared. There is a cabin section on the Rudee Flipper but it's not the best spot for viewing. The boat crew was attentive and helpful and they work for tips.

Hope this helps.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: VA Beach Whale Watching Tours

Hi,

To learn what is going on @ Virginia Beach, or before you plan to trip their, you need get some information from websites like www.vabeach.com

Virginia Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: VA Beach Whale Watching Tours

I'd also recommend looking at all the attractions at http://www.virginiabeach.com. There is a wealth of information there about whale watching, cruises, tours, festivals and more.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 19:43
8. Re: VA Beach Whale Watching Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 14:35
9. Re: VA Beach Whale Watching Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2015, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach