We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 3 with a toddler

Save Topic
Family of 3 with a toddler

So I am heading to VB for the second time. My buddy is stationed near by so I take the time to see him. But what exactly can I do with my wife and my daughter who will be a year and 10 months at the time of our vacation. I saw there is a aquarium near by, and obviously we can walk the strip and boardwalk. But what else can we do? Family dinner recomandations? We are staying at the Ramada on the beach i believe. Any good malls/outlets to check out?

Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 3 with a toddler

Oh if it helps we will be visiting in July.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,500 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 3 with a toddler

When we used to go to the beach with our toddlers, they were happy to spend all day either in the hotel pool, in the ocean, playing in the sand or walking on the beach picking up seashells. With a combination of beach umbrellas, hats, shirts and sunscreen, you can protect your toddler from the sun and still have fun outdoors. When you need a break from the sun, you can take your toddler (wearing a swim diaper, of course) to the Ramada's indoor pool. There are also some nice playgrounds on the beach. With all that activity, your toddler should nap well during the day and sleep "like a baby" at night.

I think you'd find Planet Pizza a good place to take your toddler for dinner. It's a very family-oriented restaurant and the food is quite good.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
351 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 3 with a toddler

Always something going on in the summer. Check the schedules here for BeachStreet USA and town center events. http://www.beachstreetusa.com/ Besides festivals on the beach there are listings for the town center area which is a shopping district. South of the strip is the Sandbridge area if you are looking for a quieter, more outer banks type beach. No boardwalk and no crowds. There is also the aviation museum down that way, the Old Coast Guard Lifesaving Station in the resort area. The motor world Go kart park with multiple tracks and kart types as well as Ocean Breeze water park right next to each other. Also in teh column to the right is a link for "What is there to do besides go to the beach" as well as "What can we do if it rains"

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 3 with a toddler

In July, most vacationers hang out on the beach all day :)

There are plenty of things to do if you get tired with the beach, and there are too many good restaurants to list. I will say, that on the weekends especially, there can be 2 hours waits at the popular restaurants, so consider eating early to avoid the crowds.

Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 3 with a toddler

Can you name a few of the resturants? Family friendly ones of course I have 5 nights of dinner and as much as i like texas road house and cracker barrel 5 days worth maybe to much.

Also where is the fireworks located?

Any activities local (with in a hour) worth checking out?

And any good spas? I may put my wife in.one for a back rub or something and have some daddy time with my daughter.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 3 with a toddler

Head over the the Shore Drive area for dinner at least once... the restaurants are literally right on the water and overlook the back bay with great views. This area is about 15 minutes North of the resort area. Get an outside table at Bubba's. If you return to the area try Chick's, Surf Rider or Dockside. This is my favorite area at the beach, because the views are amazing and it's away from the resort/tourist district (it's nice to get away for a bit!)... it's also not far from my place on 70th.

As far as restaurants around the resort area, there are tons, and most are family friendly- even the high end ones. Some of my favorites are Tautog's, Waterman's, Eat, Pacifica, Terrapin, North End Pizza.. to name a few. Eat, Pacifica and especially Terrapin, are high end.

For breakfast, try Doc Taylor's (next to Tautogs - AWESOME), The Belvedere (small diner), or Citrus (Shore Drive Area). Those are all great suggestions, and I love all of them! Doc Taylor's being my favorite...

For lunch, you have to get Taste Unlimited at least once... great sandwiches! (Multiple Locations)

I am sure other's will chime in with more restaurants.

---

As far as places to go within an hour...

Historic Williamsburg. You can walk around Colonial Williamsburg, where there are great shops and places to eat. You can visit historic Jamestown, or go modern and check out Busch Gardens Theme Park.

If you want to stay closer, you can check out all the naval stuff around Norfolk.

----

As far as Spas.. I am sure the Hilton has a nice spa, and they also have places to sit outside by the beach and grab lunch and a drink at Catch 31.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
193 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 3 with a toddler

We went years ago when my children were almost 2 and almost 4. We went to the Children's Museum in Portsmouth, VA. and they loved that. They loved the aquarium and also the Norfolk Botanical Gardens.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 3 with a toddler

In summer, your wife will be able to ride the Wave to a couple shopping areas.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 3 with a toddler

Since you've been before you probably know how great the boardwalk is. Lots of moms fast walking the strollers. I've seen intentional groups of moms and baby strollers, too, that walk and stop here and there for various exercises.

Check out the Top Questions about VB at the upper right. Click on the one about the boardwalk. Click again and you'll get the many things to do and see as you walk from one end to the other. Lots of history, historic cottage museums, several play areas and lots of benches to rest.

Can't recall if the retro amusement park that moves to the boardwalk area at 15th St. has toddler rides but you can take a look.

There are also restaurants along the way to take a break and get a snack or something.

Fireworks...I believe they're at the site Bud Y gave.

There is nightly entertainment from about 17th to about 24th...from magic and bands on stages and on the streets to stilt walkers and clowns and street musicians. You might get a little of that in before your toddler falls asleep.

Holiday Inn North Beach has more water features including a Lazy River.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of 3 with a toddler

More events:

beachstreetusa.com/festivals/stars-stripes-e…

Oh, I see the Billy Joel tribute and Elton John tribute. We'll have to forego the Symphony on the sand this year.

beachstreetusa.com/festivals/chalk-walk-arts…

beachstreetusa.com/festivals/mid-atlantic-he…

Check out some of the summer offerings of the 41 Annual Virginia Beach Neptune Festival.

neptunefestival.com/events/…36

Go to the bottom of Beachstreet's page and click on Events Calendar . Go to July. You'll see Fireworks in the dark teal color. You might see them twice during your stay. They are set off from a barge near 20th St.

You can also rent a surry where the grownups peddle along the boardwalk.

As you walk the boardwalk, note the nautical sculptures off to the side that are fun for kids to climb on and make great photo ops...giants turtles, etc.

Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach