We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College groups

MLJ
Smyrna, Delaware
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
College groups

I was told the second part of May is a bad time to visit because of college groups. Is this a bad time for a family vacation?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College groups

The past two years there has been a College Beach Weekend event in Virginia Beach. Not sure if this will become an annual event. If it is scheduled for next year, I would not plan a visit that weekend.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,862 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College groups

This year, the College Beach Weekend was the last weekend in April. As far as I know - and I'm sure the VB experts/regulars will know better than me - last half of May isn't a bad time for a family vacation at Virginia Beach.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College groups

Oops, sorry. I missread-the Beach weekend a couple weeks ago was on my mind.

I do know that there is a Sand Soccer Tournament the first weekend of June, and also a Patriotic Festival Memorial Day weekend.

Always something going on but the second part of May is a nice time to visit. Crowds are pretty light since schools are still in session.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
230 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College groups

Chiming in late on this College Week subject. Just a quick story. My next door neighbors Sandbridge rental house had a group of College Week students from a local University rent for that 3 day weekend. They had a huge party Saturday night with cars parked all over Sandbridge road. Police came and broke it up.

My neighbor came over after they left on Sunday and told me they trashed his house.

This is not the first time I've seen this happen here. The management companies say "only family groups allowed" but don't enforce it. I'm sure its touchy, because they don't want to risk being accused of anything.

Nothing wrong with having a good time, but trashing someones well kept rental house is not right.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,862 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: College groups

I agree, that's not right. Was this in 2013 or 2014? It seemed that things at the Virginia Beach oceanfront were kept in tight control this year, in contrast to 2013. Seems like lessons were learned from the prior year.

6. Re: College groups

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach