We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic?

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic?

We'll be coming to Sandbridge Beach for the first time during the week of Saturday, June 28 through July 5 (so there for 4th of July holiday) and would love some recommendations for the best route to get there with the least traffic. We initially considered Outer Banks but decided on Sandbridge after reading all the OBX traffic nightmares! We're hoping we made the right choice :) We live north of Binghamton, NY, so will be traveling I81S to I476S... but have seen both I95 to 1S to 113S to 13S over CBBT OR (after 270, 495 through D.C.) I95S to 460 at Petersburg to I64 in Chesapeake. We're looking to avoid Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel since that sounds like where traffic is worst, but what's the best route to avoid as much traffic as possible? CBBT makes me a bit nervous, but seems like the least likely to get backed up with traffic? Thanks!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic?

A lot of people recomment 113 and CBBT.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic?

Take the bay bridge tunnel. 95 between Richmond and DC on saturdays terrible. I refuse to take it anymore.

You could maybe opt for US 301 just south of Baltimore and then through some southern Md. Suburbs and then rural VA. and connect back at 95 about 20 miles north of Richmond.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic?

Leave so that you are heading south from wherever...DC?....very very early so that you are travelling into Va very early. You might spend the night somewhere or leave the day before and arrive very early in VB. You can spend some time on the beach in the boardwalk area, public rinse offs, etc. if your rental isn't available when you arrive. The drive through Sandbridge is slower that weekend too because of the limited roads so you'll need to leave the boardwalk area in good time too. You'll be glad once you get to Va's outer banks.

Virginia Beach...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic?

With family in Maryland ... and Maine ... and living right outside of Sandbridge in Virginia Beach ... definitely take the CBBT route - AVOID DC area ... 495 & 95 (all a pure nightmare!). Don't be nervous about the CBBT - our Eastern Shore is a very nice ride and crossing the Chesapeake Bay and seeing all the ships and barges as they make their way to and from Norfolk Harbor is an wondrous experience in itself.

This is what I would recommend. (MapQuest has been kind enough to supply the mileage.) Once you cross the CBBT - travel like a "local" and avoid the VaBch Resort area (you'll have plenty of time to check it out later). We are about 35-40 minutes across town from the CBBT.

-Take the Independence Blvd/Virginia 225 S exit from US-13 S

- Continue on Independence Blvd. about 5.7 mi

- Continue onto Holland Road for about 4.0 mi

- Turn left at traffic light onto Dam Neck Rd 1.7 mi

- Turn right onto London Bridge Rd 2.4 mi

- Turn right onto General Booth Blvd 0.7 mi

- Turn left onto Princess Anne Rd (by 7-11) 0.8 mi

- At the 2nd traffic light - Go straight/slightly left onto Sandbridge Road (Food Lion will be on your right)

Then travel about 5.5 miles through "God's Country" and arrive in beautiful Sandbridge Beach. (Sandbridge Road ends at the great Atlantic Ocean.) You will be SO glad you choose Sandbridge Beach ... and we look forward to seeing you "at the Beach!"

Altoona...
Level Contributor
333 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic?

Although it looks like the long way around, this will miss the most common congestion points. Mileage will be a bit longer, but on a summer Sat it will miss most of the common congestion points. Just stay on I81S past Winchester VA to I66 East. Take I66E to US17S. 17S to I95S at Frederick. I95S to I295 bypass around Richmond to 460 as you had mentioned previously. Remember you will have both VB and OBX traffic using 95/295 and I-64, which is a great reason to avoid I-64. We are in SW Central PA and when we went to OBX usually stay in Ashland VA Friday night to get an early start south Sat morning to get across the Wright Memorial Bridge before 11 AM. If you don't do the 13S down the eastern shore, which is a noce ride, you are 100% spot on in using 460 and avoid the whole I64 out of Richmond mess. Also avoid DC as much as possible, it's another choke point for all the beach traffic from the NorthEast.

Sandbridge however is worth whatever it takes to get there. We haven't been back to OBX in years ;)

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic?

Thanks everyone for the advice - I'll be taking a closer look at our options this weekend when I have a chance to look at a map ;) My question now is, if we opt to go CBBT route, is it likely to be bumper-to-bumper over the bridge/tunnel or is it generally always moving? We'll be hitting it late afternoon on Saturday, I would think. I think I will be less nervous if I'm not stuck in gridlock traffic going over it. Of course there will always be traffic to a beach location but we're trying to find the route that requires the least amount of being stuck in traffic. Thanks again!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic?

I've never seen bumper-to-bumper on the CBBT, or even what I would consider heavy traffic, no matter when I was on it.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic?

Unless there is some unplanned significant road work or an accident, you will not encounter the bumper to bumper traffic on the CBBT.

The two tunnels are one lane north and south, but the bridges are two lanes each way so traffic moves well. Even when the entire CBBT was only two lanes we were never stuck in vacation traffic.

Do not consider 95-stick with 13-113 south.

9. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach