We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic

Cincinnati, Ohio
7 posts
Save Topic
Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic

We are traveling to Sandbridge Beach mid-June from Ohio. We are hoping to arrive mid - late morning on a Saturday. Which route do you suggest to avoid traffic? What times of day would you definitely avoid arriving?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic

Coming from Cincinatti, you'll probably want to take I-64 to west of Richmond. From there, you can pick up US 360, and then you can head south and pick up US460. You avoid both of the main bridge tunnels going that way. On a Saturday, there will be traffic, but not as bad as on I-64.

I'm sure others with more experience on this route will chime in, and will no doubt have more and better details for you.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
341 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic

You might also catch VA 288 off of I-64 west of Richmond and run south around Richmond, avoiding the I-295/I-64 Interchange completely. Get back on I-95 S near Chester and run south to 460. In any case, use US460 as opposed to I-64 East from 95/295

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
75 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic

Don't over think it. Take the normal routes. 95 to 295 near Richmond to 64 (there wont be any tunnel traffic mid morning on a Saturday). Take it into VA Beach. Keep in mind, it is a one lane road heading into Sandbridge.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic

No tunnel traffic mid-morning on a Saturday? Glad you missed it, but that hasn't been my experience.

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
75 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic

Can there be traffic? of course. There is no rhyme or reason behind traffic at any of our local tunnels. But mid-morning Saturday is not exactly prime travel time. I make the trip in the opposite direction quite frequently and it is rare for there to be any traffic.

In the end, do what you wish. But sometimes we need to KISS (keep it simple stupid...no offense meant).

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic

I would second the advice to AVOID 95 and 64. We've taken 460 via Windsor/suffolk and highly recommend it, especially on a Saturday in the summer.

USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic

The best Route is 13. Most of the large towns have some food places along the way.

Some towns have a bypass to avoid the business district.

It you prefer a more rual route (a little bit longer), you can do 113 and meet back 13 at Pocomoke city.

8. Re: Best route to Sandbridge Beach to avoid traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach