We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any quaint, clean smaller hotel/motels in VB?

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any quaint, clean smaller hotel/motels in VB?

My hubby and I are considering crossing the Cdn. border, and heading down to VA Beach, week of July 14th.

We like to travel modestly, and have enjoyed stays in smaller unique places like the Sea Spray Inn, at Vero Beach, Fla, and, The Capri at Siesta Key, also in Fla.

Other than Cutty Sark, and Angies, I haven't found anything that is similar.

We'd like:

Walking distance to the beach, and to restaurants and entertainment.

Nothing too busy or loud - heck, we're in our 50's now, and slowing down.

Something that offers us a coffe maker, maybe a stove, and a fridge for cold bevvie's and snacks, oh, and a grocery store nearby.

A good pizza joint would be appreciated, too...

Budget around $125. to $150. per night.

CLEAN, no smoking, (bed) bug free, and with a king bed and parking.

Is my wish list impossible?

Please and thanks in advance,

Kim

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any quaint, clean smaller hotel/motels in VB?

That's about it then. Most older places have been torn down and replaced by slick big chains. There are others, but they qualify more as "old" than "quaint." I just checked a couple places that used to get rather good reviews and I was appalled at the photos one of them posted. They didn't bother to touch up the chipped headboard or straighten the lamp shades for their website -- what an impression! So I'm not mentioning them. The other didn't show many photos -- mostly just the pool. That worries me too.

Cutty Sark is a solid member of the Hotel Association whereas the others aren't. So I'd feel comfortable going there.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,418 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any quaint, clean smaller hotel/motels in VB?

Do you see that Cutty Sark has cottages...or sections of cottages...for rent as well as the hotel?

Do note their somewhat tight cancellation policy, not uncommon in the old style "inn" atmosphere.

Also note VB's Canadian Days if it's any help.

Hey, how about Capes Hotel. It's family ownerd. Reminds me of an inn. Smaller. Oceanfront. Even in the summer they offer "Value Days". Check out their website. (Don't know their prices for your dates.)

Edited: 03 July 2014, 23:11
SAINT ALBANS
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any quaint, clean smaller hotel/motels in VB?

19 Atlantic Hotel might also meet your needs. I was going to book there but they don't have a pool so that was a deal breaker for us. It looked interesting.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any quaint, clean smaller hotel/motels in VB?

Thanks for all of the feedback so far...

Yes, I did look at the options at Cutty Sark, and have not discounted them.

The Capes didn't have any availability for our timeframe, and it was more in line with what we were hoping for.

I'll continue to check the websites, and totally appreciate the time you have all taken to provide info for me...

Cheers!

Kim

Warrington...
Level Contributor
129 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any quaint, clean smaller hotel/motels in VB?

I stayed at the Capes in June and it was very nice. Room was clean and very friendly staff. I didn't eat in the little cafe but plan on my next visit in August. I was looking forward to staying there after Labor day, but they close at the end of September. They suggested The Breakers, next to them, who are also a family owned hotel on the smaller side. Good luck and enjoy VB!

6. Re: Any quaint, clean smaller hotel/motels in VB?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:16