We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Off the Beach??

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Off the Beach??

This is our first time visiting VB. We are a family of four, originally from California. So, its our first beach trip on the east coast. Is it ok to stay off the beach at a less expensive hotel? I'm worried about parking at the beach. Also, we have little ones, so are there beach bathrooms? Vendors with chairs & umbrellas? Just not sure if the money saved staying 10 mins away is worth the hassle of not being on the beach? I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,

Beth

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Off the Beach??

Yes, you can certainly stay at a hotel 10-15 minutes away around Town Center off Independence Blvd or off Newtown Rd. You'll have the option of interstate traffic or the stop-n-go stoplight traffic on VB Blvd.

Parking is plentiful at $7 a day through the week and $10 on weekends. You can rent chairs and umbrellas. And there are restrooms at the entrance points to the beach along the boardwalk. Here is a handy dandy map that shows parking as well as restrooms: http://www.visitvirginiabeach.com/maps/

Only you can say whether the savings is worth the hassle of the commute. There are indeed advantages to being AT the beach if the price is right: the convenience of taking a break during the day to go back to the hotel room, being able to freshen up before the nightly free entertainment on the Boardwalk and not having to drive back to the hotel. I'm sure you've considered all that.

virginia
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Off the Beach??

I just recently stayed at the travelodge one street back in july for $89 a night.......not sure if you are gonna get much cheaper even 1o minutes away. Yes there are porta-potties on every or at least every other blocks on the beach along with nicer bathrooms on certain areas especially at rudee inlet where there is parking. yes there are vendors with chairs and umbrellas . if you are on a budget and do not have high expections the travelodge will be fine, however if you are hilton type girl you will not be satified. i feel both travelodges get awful reviews from people who want the hilton, but dont have the funds. I vaca at va beach at least twice a year and overspending on a place to sleep is not something i do.....totally enjoy spending the money of nice meals and entertainment :) have fun!

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
505 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Off the Beach??

I have to agree with Juljust and Wendymath. Find a place in your budget, but stay at the beach. First, you won't save that much (or any) money staying 10 minutes away - and there are gobs more hotels at the beach than 10 minutes away. The ones at Town Center are not particularly cheap and a bit more business traveler oriented than the vacation spots at the beach.

With little ones, there's nothing like a refuge just a few minutes walk away, rather than having to get in the car and drive back to a hotel further out. If you find you need an early nap, you can do it and then not worry about driving back to beach after naps are over.

Enjoy your visit and stay close to the beach!

Edited: 10 August 2014, 19:57
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Off the Beach??

Thanks everyone! It's very helpful!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Off the Beach??

If you do opt to stay at the Travelodge, make sure it's the one on 28th and not the one on 19th. Have stayed in both and have posted reviews.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,519 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Off the Beach??

When are you coming? At this point, prices will be coming down here and there pretty soon. Back up some weekends. Back down. Have you tried Capes Hotel Value Days or the Breakers Breakaway Days?

Edited: 17 August 2014, 12:45
7. Re: Hotel Off the Beach??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach