We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for trip from England in summer 2010

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for trip from England in summer 2010

My husband and I are in the very early stages of planning next years holiday to America and have got as far as deciding to fly to Washington DC and then all we really know is that we would like to see the Amish County, Blue ridge mountains, Shenandoah National Park and Virginia Beach area then fly back from Washington to England but not necessarily in that order.

We'll hire a car but only for time away from Washington City and intend to spend around $120/$150 per night on accomodation and will be happy to stay from a few nights to just a quick stopover depending on what there is to see and do.

We love walking (hiking) and generally being outdoors. Not into museums really but enjoy wandering around a city looking at buildings and of course people watching!

We would love some advice and information to help us plan our exact itinerary.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for trip from England in summer 2010

You'll want to post this request in the appropriate forums, including Pennsylvania (Lancaster), Virginia (Shenandoah National Park, Virginia Beach) and in Washington, DC. This post is in Washington, Virginia, a charming place about an hour away from Washington, DC.

Do you know when you plan to come, and how long you'll be here?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for trip from England in summer 2010

Washington, DC (District of Columbia) is here: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28969-i39-Distric…

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for trip from England in summer 2010

Thanks for that will get myself better organised now! We'll can come over from mid July to the end of August and our stay will be a maximum of 16/17 nights. Never been to this area before so getting excited already ha ha

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for trip from England in summer 2010

If you into fine food you might want to stop by Washington Va just off of sky line drive on you trip to the blue ridge mnts we have a world class restaurant here but you need reservations well in advance . but It will blow your budget if you planing on staying the night rooms start at about $500 a night. I hope you have a great trip

www.theinnatlittlewashington.com/home.asp

A suggestion if this helps after you see what you want in DC head north to Amish country then south on I 81 to I66 to get to Shenandoah park (aka) Sky Line drive take that down to I64 east to Va Beach.

You can possibly leave from there to get back home as Norfolk has an international air port . Or if you should choose to drive back to Dulles take Rt 17 back north getting on it at Rt 105 off of 64 this is a very scenic way and will put you on I 95 to DC in Fredericksburge Va.

If I can help you travel in Va feel free to message me here .

I live in Washington Va

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for trip from England in summer 2010

Thanks for the info. Think those rooms would leave us very short...ha ha but otherwise will be looking closely at all your advice when we do our detailed itinery. I will message you if I need any more help..thnks again

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for trip from England in summer 2010

You will probably need to tweek your itinerary as you plan, but this could be a start:

Fly into Washington DC. If you fly into Regan National airport it will be closer to DC and you can stay in many of the hotels near the airport in Arlington, VA and take the Metro into the city. Many hotels have van service to and from the airport. If you fly into Dulles (Chantilly or Sterling, VA) airport, you will be 45 minutes from DC. The subway doesn't go our that far so you will have to taxi into DC. Check travelzoo.com for hotel deals in DC closer to your arrival time. Even thought you are not into museums, do check out our world class Smithsonian museums along the DC Mall (not shopping mall). They are free and you can just pop in and check them out. Stay 2-3 nights depending on your arrival time. Check in way in advance if you plan to tour the White House (where our president lives) or the National Capital).

Spend 2-3 nights in or around Lancaster, PA. This is the heart of the Amish country. Travel time from DC is 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Good food and things to do and see with beautiful countryside. I have vacationed in the area about 5 times. There are lots of B&B's in region. One of my favorite is the Rocky Acre Bed & Breakfast, Mt. Joy, Pa., which is an acutal Dairy Farm. The breakfasts are so large that you won't have to eat again until dinner. She can also set you up to eat with an actual Amish family.

Pick up rt. 15 in Pennsylvania, traveling south through Maryland and into Virginia, then rt 29 then ft 211 west. You will then drive through the little town of Washington VA with it's famous Inn and restaurant. There is another B&B in town, though. YOu can pick up the Skyland Drive off 211 but if you travel west a little further you can tour Luray Caverns and then come back east on 211 to go south on Skyland Drive. Take this down to Interstate 64, then head east to Charlottesville. Maybe spend a night in Charlottesville and tour Monticello, a winery or two, eat at Michie Tavern, see the University there. (Travel time from Mt. Joy, PA to Charlottesville is 4 hours 16 minutes, not counting slower pace on Skyland Drive). Or, spend the night along the way and another night in C'ville.

Travel 3 hours east on I64 to Virginia Beach. Spend several days there and enjoy the lovely free entertainment at night along the boardwalk.

It will be 4 hours back to Washington, but there are several towns along the way to explore to stay. From Virginia Beach you will go through Norfolk, VA, Williamsburg (and Jamestown), Richmond, Ashland, Fredericksburg, Alexandria, and then DC. As you research, use this site under "things to do" for each city.

Have a great trip!

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Level Contributor
406 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for trip from England in summer 2010

If you enjoy the Great Outdoors, perhaps you'd like to drop by Newport News Park (located in Newport News, off of Interstate 64 at exit 250B, about 50 minutes from the Virginia Beach oceanfront). At over 8000 acres (3237.5 hectares, if my conversion chart hasn't failed me), it's the largest municipal park east of the Mississippi River.

The park offers a number of hiking trails, boat (paddle boat, jon boat and canoe) rentals, fishing, a bicycle path (5.3 miles), two golf courses, and---if you couldn't bring along your clubs---frisbee/disk golf!

Plus, the Newport News Visitor Center is located at the park's main entrance. There, you can pick up visitor guides for all the area cities, local and state maps and lots of other information.

:-)

8. Re: Advice for trip from England in summer 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Washington