We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

James River Plantations

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Topic
James River Plantations

Can anyone tell me about their experiences visiting the James River Plantations? Which are the best to see, especially with children? What is the drive along Route 5 like?

We will be traveling down to the Outer Banks from the northern part of Virginia, and we might like to take the "scenic" route instead of the usual 64. We travel down several times a year and I thought it might be interesting to try something different. Would traveling down to route 5, taking in one plantation and then continuing on to the Outer Banks be a doable trip?

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: James River Plantations

rt 5 is beautiful - not sure if kids would like the plantations - depends on the kids likes.

going to OBX Rt 5 really is out of the way. you would continue on 95 farther S than necessary and then Rt 5 is much slower. Probably add about an hour to your drive. It is doable - if the Plantation(s) are something you want to see.

For a scenic Rt maybe 301/17 through tappahnnock, gloucester to 64. I use 17/301 to NOVA a lot and it is just abou the same timewise, depending on traffic and avoids the terrible traffic on 95

I go to my place in the OBX often, and i hate to say, 64E to the MM tunnel is the best way. signs great - you take the expressway and are in NC in a flash.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: James River Plantations

Thanks for the info bridgefan. My kids do like history (Mount Vernon, Montpelier, etc). I was thinking of taking the Route 5 way just as a new diversion. I know it would be longer, but it would be something new.

Although I take the Route 17 way to get to 95, I've never continued passed Fredericksburg on it. What's it like from that point continuing further south? Is it just stoplight after stoplight? How is the ride through the Newport News area and where do you pick up the rest of the trip (158, etc)?

64 just gets to be a drag!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: James River Plantations

Did you catch this topic in the Post this past Sunday? If not I can probably link it.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: James River Plantations

Yes, I did. I've got it right in front of me. Thanks for pointing it out though! Just looking for some personal experiences and advice.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: James River Plantations

I like Berkeley. The grounds are nice and walkable, and the house tour is interesting, too. It's pretty close to Richmond and I-64; not sure if that fits in with your driving plans. Here's a website with James River plantation information: http://www.jamesriverplantations.com/

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: James River Plantations

You might check out the Colonial Kids' Program and Teen Art Camp something or other at this one:

wiltonhousemuseum.org/programs.html

Discovered this one:

virginia-beach-family-fun.com/jamesriverplan…

A personal favorite is in the Richmond area, Elizabethan and interestingly built, of course, in England, then purchased and shipped here and REassembled...a fascinating feat to my mind:

agecrofthall.com/

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: James River Plantations

Since your children enjoy history and Monticello, I wonder if you've been to Poplar Forest, Jefferson's getaway from the crowds at Monticello? They might be interested in this page:

poplarforest.org/ForKids/ForKids.html

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: James River Plantations

Thanks for the tips explorer3. Although Poplar Forest is on my "to-do" list for someday, these days it's hard for us to get to that part of the state. Agecroft and Wilton are on our list when we visit grandma in Richmond.

Have you had experience driving 17 from Fredericksburg down towards Newport News?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: James River Plantations

No, haven't gone that way from one city to the other. There would be opportunities for some side trips but don't know how the traffic is. Hopefully, someone else can tell you.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: James River Plantations

We've driven rte 17 from Frederickburg a couple of times. It was a lovely drive. If I remember correctly, it was driving thru country side, driving thru quaint little towns. It amazed me to see how wide the river was in some places. Can't tell you about where to stop along the way tho, sorry.

Have a great trip.