We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

garyville
Level Contributor
235 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

Dear All,

I have been trying to find recipes for local food. I have found a peanut soup recipe that I am going to cook while we are visiting. I would like some suggestions to local recipes. Living in Louisiana we are known for gumbos, red beans and rice, ettofees , all sorts of seafood dishes. I would like to do some of your regional cooking while I am in the area. Where I am from we eat anything that crawls, swims, or runs so we are open to anything.

Thanks,

Anna

29 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,345 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

Anna,

Have you tried googling Virginia Living Magazine?

Kesh_grammy

Mentioned in this post
garyville
Level Contributor
235 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

I will go there. I have goggled early American food, Virginia food, early Virginia food, colonial food. Spent most of this afternoon looking for something that is just Virginia. I have the things out to do a pre peanut soup tomorrow. I know that there has to be unique recipes from this area. Please give me a family favorite.

Mentioned in this post
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,345 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

Years ago someone gave me a cookbook from CW, I think they still sell it.

garyville
Level Contributor
235 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

Well I guess the cooking is southern, and I am southern. I am trying the peanut soup tomorrow. I looked at the site you gave and they are big into BBQ. I am looking for side dishes. In south Louisiana we stuff every thing with shrimp. I guess I will look at their BBQ and sides. I really was hoping for family recipes.

Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

There are two cookbooks that I would recommend. The first one is "The Williamsburg Cookbook". The second is "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American". Both are available on Amazon. The Frugal Gourmet book will have Pacific Northwest, PA Dutch and other type recipes in addition to "Virginia" food. But, there are wonderful sections on cooking with peanuts including a great version of peanut soup that is worth the price of the book alone. There is a chapter on the colonies, George Washington's favorite dishes, Thomas Jefferson's fav's and some recipes on colonies. I've owned the book since 1987 and use it often. I hope you enjoy visiting the Commonwealth and enjoying our wonderful food.

Mentioned in this post
The Commonwealth
The Commonwealth
68 Reviews
Richmond, VA
6. Re: Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 October 2017, 07:14

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,345 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

Anna,

You might try googling the CW Colonial Taverns & pull up their menus for a look / see what's being served. btw, I have never had peanut soup, yes to collards, black eyed peas, fried green tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, corn bread.

Kesh_grammy

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,345 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

Anna,

Paw Paw can be found on older properties / farms, delicious in puddings, pies, cakes, muffins, & breads. In the past I would make quince preserves.

Kesh_grammy

garyville
Level Contributor
235 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

I spent time yesterday looking at all the menus of the taverns. I love collards but that takes too long to clean and cook down. I am going to look for the two books and what Washington and Jefferson liked to eat. Great things to dig into. Thanks so much.

garyville
Level Contributor
235 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking

FYI I just ordered the two cook books recommended . I remember his cooking show way back when. Thanks.

Reply to: Getting our taste buds ready for Virginia Cooking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Williamsburg