We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
408 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

My sister in law and I (both 51 yr olds) will be going to Williamsburg this summer and I have a lot of questions. First, let me tell you about us so you can tell me if this is a good destination for us.

I love history! Gettysburg was one of my favorite trips. Deb has never been to a historical site so I'm not sure what she'll think of it. She is a huge Disney fan and loves theme parks (Busch Gardens?). Neither of us likes roller coasters and I believe Busch Gardens has a lot of them, but does it have enough other things to make it worthwhile for us?

We will be flying in (free airfare through AirTran) and renting a car. Where should we stay? We prefer to rent homes so that we can have some "alone" time and if we're lucky, a private spa. However, a 2 room suite might also work in a hotel setting. It seems lodging is rather expensive in the area.

So, what else should we do? Williamsburg and Jamestown are a must. What about plantations? I've read a little in the forums about them... are there any that are exceptional?

Deb is also a big shop-a-holic. Are there any flea markets, Outlet Centers, etc?

We're planning on staying a week - Saturday to Saturday.

Thank you for your help!!! I am looking forward to your replies.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

sounds like a good mix here for you - except the shopping. we do have Prime Outlets, and it is popular. Merchant's Square has a great shopp, Binn's, with designer goods, it is small, so limited stock. you can shop in richmond, about 45-60 min away. merchant's square has a few other shops. she might enjoy the galleria on rt 17 in yorktown or the flea market in gloucester over the coleman bridge on rt17

BG has plenty besides roller coasters, if it is hot during the day go late afternoon and see sunset, the gardens. Check show schedules and plan around those. I LOVE roller coasters - and BG are great.

Not many homes for rent weekly, we do have plenty of timeshares. also if you want a spa check out packages at www.kingsmill.com or at CW itself - the new spa is fantastic, but expensive. Lodging is expensive here - and some of the older properties are not up to standards for many. you can get a suite hotel on richmon road or mooretown - horrible locations though for relaxation, so if kinsmill or The Inn or Lodge at CW don;t work - or even a colonial house at CW if it is in your budget - try manor house at for'ds colony

fly into PHF on AirTran, rent car - Williamsburg 20 min away, easy drive. small airport so you are in and out in record time.

You might also enjoy charlottesville. i think too far for a day trip and actually see anything, drive not bad but fitting it all in 1 day is impossible - if it looks interesting maybe stay in c'ville your last 2 nights and depart on airtran out of RIC if your pass allows - usually they do since PHF and RIC considered the same market.

lots to do here for you guys

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
408 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

Thanks for your help although all the abreviations have me confused! ;-) I understand CW and BG but some of the rest have me totally stumped.

Help?

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

phf - patrick henry field - the airport for williamsburg/newport news airport - 20-30 min away depending on lodging

ric - richmond international airport 45-60 min away depending on lodging

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
408 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

Do you think it would be too far to stay in Virginia Beach? It says about an hour but I realize there could be traffic that extends that time.

I'm just having trouble figuring out where to stay.

Kingsmill looks to be too much for us. I need a two bedroom condo/timeshare/B&B/rental house... something between $1100 and $1500 for the week.

Any ideas for me?

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

i don't usually revisit posts - glad i came bacj, maybe i can help.

i do think Va bch is too far IF williamsburg is where you will spend most of your time. the time isn't as bad as the traffic and tunnel and the overall atmosphere. I am not a va bch fan - i much prefer other beaches so am biased.

in our area have you looked into a timeshare at greensprings or fairfield? do you really need 2 bedrooms? would a 1 bedroom suite do? for 2 people that is a lot of room - including kitchen, living area, etc. so you might save $$ that way.

the overall "feel" of the williamsburg area is much more relaxed, spectacularly beautiful and charming. we think traffic is bad if we sit 3-5 min at a light!

a week here can be long - i would stay here 3-4 nights and then c'ville. a perfect trip, history, pretty, BG, 2 nice college toens, easy driving between the 2. cute shopping in c'ville - open air restaurants and clubs.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

Welcome to the Williamsburg forum! Bridgefan has given you some good advice. Prime Outlets has a lot of stores; you can shop 'til you drop and not visit them all. Colonial Williamsburg also has some nice retail shops to look around. Merchants Square has nice shops, Binns is local. There is also Talbot's, Chico's, the Pink Cabana (a Lilly Pulitzer shop), Precious Gem, Shirley Pewter, The College Shop, The Scotland House. A nice mix of locally owned and national stores.

Ford's Colony Marriott, Kingsmill, or one of the timeshare rentals (Greensprings, Powhatan Plantation are two of the better ones, I hear) might fit the bill. There are some "suites" hotels along Mooretown Road and Richmond Road that I would think would be good for just relaxing. There are a number of nice B&Bs in town. Most are small - up to 4 guest rooms - and are often within walking distance of CW.

My personal favorite plantation is Berkeley, but I've never been disappointed with a visit to any of the plantations.

Yorktown can be a great place to spend some time. Yorktown Victory Center and the part of the Colonial Historical Park that is in Yorktown (National Park Service) focus on the American Revolution, but there are Civil War earthworks there and on Jamestown Island. Recently developed, the Riverwalk in Yorktown has several nice shop, and Nick's Riverwalk Restaurant is a good place for lunch or dinner. There is also a smallish beach in Yorktown on the York River. The Colonial Parkway can be a nice, relaxing drive. It connects Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown.

As questions pop up, ask away, and we'll do our best to answer them.

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
408 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

Wow, a week is too long? Hmmm ok then maybe we'll stay at Kingsmill but just not for an entire week! Then we can move on to another place. C'ville perhaps (what is C'ville again?) if you think thats a good option.

Thanks for all the ideas on shopping and restaurants. We love to eat and shop both!!!!

I had seen an auction for Greensprings on eBay and it really did look perfect for us. I believe the listing started at $1299 (2 bedroom too) for a week but it was the wrong week.

What beach do you prefer? Maybe we could spend a night or two at the beach after doing the Triangle.

Thanks again. I truly appreciate the help you two have given me.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

I don't think a week is too long - we used to vacation here for 5 -7 days each time and it was never enough. We ended up moving here and still find lots that interests us.

Charlottesville is the home of "Mr. Jefferson's university" the University of Virginia. Nearby is Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home, Ash Lawn Highland, home to James Monroe, and Montpelier, James Madison's home. Also lots of wineries in the area. We do day trips to Monticello, visit a couple of wineries, and stop in Richmond for dinner on our way home. It's a fun day trip for us.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

Hi Tena, You are going to love the historic triangle!!! A week is not too long!! There is so much to see and do. Like the above posts have told you.

I have been going there since 1996, and believe me, I have not seen and done everything yet. I am going with my daughter in May, we have only 5 full days, I don't even count the traveling days. For me , there is never enough time there.

Glad you are going to Jamestowne!! The Jamestowne Historical Island is where the original site is and The Jamestown Settlement is a recreation, with the fort, ships, and native american village. Both are great.

A great book to read before you go, "The Official Guide to America's Historic Triangle" I just got done "devouring" it!!

Have not been to any of the outlying plantations yet.

Your sister-in-law will have fun shopping.

"The Stagecoach Antique Village and Flea Market" is only opened on the weekend, according to a travel book that I have. That is the one on rte. 17 in Glucester.

The airport in Newport News, is small and easily manouvered as one of the posts said.

Now, this is my personal opinion, I would just stay in the "triangle" , especially if this is your first trip. The only reason, is because, like I said , there is so much to do and see. It really can be overwhelming (in a good way, tho)

I'm very excited for you and know you will have a wonderful time!!

from Mary.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
206 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Williamsburg - July, '07 Questions

I stayed at the Marriott Manor Club at Ford's Colony recently. It was wonderful! Not sure of the price...got a 'getaway' deal through my timeshare company. I posted a review under the hotel heading.