We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route of Travel

PA
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Route of Travel

Hello! I will be visiting for the first time this Easter weekend (heading down on Thursday afternoon). I will be coming from Central PA, and anticipate taking 15 to 17. I should hit the Mason Dixon line at around 3pm. Can anyone comment on this route of travel? It does not appear that 17 goes directly into Williamsburg...at what point should I break off of 17?

Thanks in advance for your help.

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route of Travel

We travel from western PA and have found that we like this route. You will pick up 95 just north of Fredricksburg while on 17. After about 60 miles get on 295 East (bypass around Richmond). In another 10 miles you will get on 64 East. Take that into Williamsburg (about 60 miles). Follow signs to the Visitors' Center. Are you staying at a CW hotel? If so, ask for their preferred seating times for such popular attractions as the Governor's Palace and the Capitol.

PA
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Route of Travel

Hello RQT, thanks for the info. Have you ever stayed on 17 all the way into the Yorktown area? I will be traveling in the early evening, and am concerned about 95 / 64 traffic. I don't mind traffic volume, as long as I'm moving. Thanks again for your tips!

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route of Travel

I sometimes use 17 to go back north from the Tidewater area, because 95 north traffic can get ugly on Sunday's. Going south, I would take 17 a little ways south of the town of Saluda, and pick up Hwy 33 towards West Point. This will take you all the way to I-64. Go east about 18 miles to Williamsburg.

Note that taking 17 is definitely the scenic route. If you want the fastest, then follow the above poster's advice and get on I-95 south at Fredericksburg. Thursday afternoon shouldn't be too bad for traffic especially since you're skipping all the way around the DC area.

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route of Travel

We are usually in Williamsburg by 4 o'clock, so I can't really speak about the volume of the traffic on the roadways later in the afternoon. Have a great time in CW...make sure you visit the Wigmaker and the Milliner. These sites are so interesting. Of course, take in as many of the others as you have time for.

southern Maryland
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Route of Travel

Traveling I-95 through Washington and the Wilson bridge in the evening can be a major problem. Traffic is known to creep even south of Washington and down to Fredericksburg.

I-64 can come to a crawl as well in the warmer months depending on the time of day.

If you are traveling I-95 and plan on exiting for 17t south you just might be best to stay on I-95 and follow that to just outside of Richmond where you can take 295 to 64.

I travel route 17 to Williamsburg all the time. However I live in southern Maryland and I use 301 south directly to 17 in Port Royal. Exiting Fredericksburg and then heading down 17 might waste a lot of time. Its a good little ride from the exit in Fredericksburg off of I-95 to Port Royal and from there it is about 2 hour ride to Williamsburg give or take a bit.

The road is mostly rural and two lanes and you will cross the York River and pas through Yorktown....When you cross the Coleman Bridge (2.00 toll for cars north bound only) you will see signs that take you to Williamsburg via the Colonia Parkway...but I notcied a few weeks ago parts of the Parkway were closed and a detour was in place.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Route of Travel

if you will be going through the metro DC area during rush hour consider 301 to 17 as stated above. do not use I-95, stay on 17 but do not go all the way to gloucester - exit 17 through Glynn's and west point (stop after tappahannock and ask someone if your map is not detailed enough - and don;t worry if you miss the Glynn's cut off - continue on 17 to turn off for west point, it is clearly marked - once you go through west point turn left at the light by whitmore chevrolet - to the end of this road turn left - take this into willimasburg. saves you about 20-25 minutes over going all the way on 17 to gloucester to colonial parkway. 301 to 17 all the way to west point is major highway and moves. the cut off by whitmore is a winding 2 lane road 9(ust for a few miles) and it is also that way into willimasburg - watch speed, it is easy to drive.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route of Travel

Per bridgefan: exit 17 through Glynn's and west point

That would be Glenns, and it's not exit 17. If you're on US17, at Glenns, US17 continues south, and VA33 goes west to West Point. Continuing through West Point, take a left on VA30 towards Barhamsville. A few miles further is I-64. Following this route from West Point, it's about 25 miles to Williamsburg.

I see you're leaving today; have a safe trip!

southern Maryland
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Route of Travel

Isn't there a bank or a 7-11 or soemthing that sit on the corners where you turn right off of 17 and head towards West Point....

I have thought about going that way, but wasn't sure what it was like.

So if I exit 17 well before Gloucester at this exit the previous two posts mention will shave 25 minutes from the drive?

I often sit at that light headed south on 17 and glance down and see those green sign and it says Williamsburg is about 25 miles...

Is that so....I am rather good with directions..what are the odds of getting really lost.

I am headed down on April 14th and 15th and would like to try this route..at Glenns?? Is that what it is called?

PA
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Route of Travel

Thank you all for your comments. I just returned, and it was a great time! For anyone that may rediscover this thread...I did take 15 south to 17 south. Lots of lights, and areas of single lane traffic, but I found it to be nicer than doing battle on 95 through DC at rush hour.

The signs directed me on to 95 South just above Fredericksburg, even if I wanted to continue south on 17. I hit this area around 6pm on Thursday evening. The highway quickly opened up, and I chanced staying on 95 to 295 to 64. Luckily it was smooth sailing, even at that time of the day.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Your comments make a world of difference in planning a vacation.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route of Travel

TobiasLear,

Yes, the intersection is at Glenns. US 17 continues south to Gloucester, and VA 33 goes west to West Point, and then to I-64. It's pretty easy, I think.