We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

The finale ceremonies were very well attended. Only superlatives can describe it - stirring music, a choir of 1,607 voices, an orchestra with members from across the US, drama that laid out the Jamestown story, warts and all, more orchestra music to accompany the fireworks - spectacular!

Attendance at the 3-day event was 70,000. For me the only problem was not enough time to see and do all that I would have liked! Even the shuttles worked better than I thought.

Now that the hoopla is over, it's a good time to come visit. New museums have opened at Jamestown Settlement and at Historic Jamestowne and are worth the time and effort to get there.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

it will be interesting to see what the actual SOLD count is. 70k in total attended - inlcuding all workers and performers and family of performers. How many ticket sales were to people with absolutley no connection will be telling - would the adults travelling from the midwest to accompany a choir have come if they weren't accompanying the choir?

Unfortunately the actual sales, while certainly much improved the last few weeks, were not the revised 90K hoped for. Comped tickets to sponsors account for a huge number - I had tickets from 3 different sources - didn't pay for any of them - so I'm in that 70K count 3 times.

In a few weeks or months when the actual numbers can be found out and published we'll know more.

The cost to the taxpayers for the 3 days is enormous. This will be a great shot in the arm to the tourist industry.

How in the world could you not see it all in 3 days? Even if working a few shifts it was easily doable, the place wasn't that big!

The fireworks were nice - after the golf tourney we hopped on the boat and watched from the river. 2 minutes from pier - no way could we have made it in time if we had to use a vehicle.

All in all the promoters are happy, the committe is happy and we are glad we don't have to do this again any time soon.

Jamestown Island is one of my fav places - a real jewel.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

>>>How in the world could you not see it all in 3 days? Even if working a few shifts it was easily doable, the place wasn't that big!<<<

Easy, I checked the schedules for what I wanted to do and see, including at the Settlement and at Historic Jamestown. Last I heard, I can't be in more than one place at a time! Evidently you have few interests in learning, watching, and doing. For you it must be a quick look around and you're done, which sounds like an incredibly dull and boring existence to me.

And who cares if 70,000 were sold or if that was just attendance? It sounds to me like you are upset that it was a big success.

va
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

Zoey,

thank you for your ackowlegement of the wonderful experience at Jamestown. It was truly an event that most of us will not see in this area again.

To think that in just a few weeks, the queen and the President visited our small town and then over 70,000 people came and enjoyed the history that surrounds us.

Many people have lost interest in history and this event will surely renew the fact that history can be exciting!

Unfortunately, not all residents of Williamsburg feel the same way.

Some ,as noted above would rather attend a golf outing to follow a white ball on some green grass and boast of their importance than to support the fine job that many have done to promote our history!

Bridgefan has many negative reviews and I truly wonder why she wastes her time on these posts. She obviously has a greater interest in golf and las Vegas.

To all of those visitors who came and enjoyed our beautiful town, we thank you and hope that you can come and enjoy it often. We need to educate our children about the history of our country instead of teaching them how to play golf!

Zoey, please keep up your posts so everyone who reads these forums can see what this wonderful area has to offer!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

Two cents from the choir from the midwest ... we ALL had an absolutely fabulous time, even though we arrived home exhausted and probably 75% of us sick in one form or another (mostly laryngitus, but a few fevers and respiratory infections) Our 14 hour busride there turned into 17, our ride back 15, every day was packed with tours, activities and choir rehearsals -- very little down time for the kids to do school work, so we all averaged about 5 hours of sleep each night. We felt like we needed more time to tour, as we only got an hour or two in each location ... but most importantly, we all left wanting to see MORE. So if only HALF of our numbers (70) come back to visit with our families, and the other 49 choirs feel the same, that should be a shot in the arm for the future. It was brilliant on the part of the organizers to invite groups from each state -- you're right, they would not have come on their own -- to be a part of this kind of celebration was an honor, and as the kids' put it ... "way cool!" My one suggestion to the powers that be that organized the food would be to have a bit better quality -- our digestive systems are all suffering greatly from a diet of salt and fat and not enough veggies! And the food lines on Sunday afternoon were a nightmare -- a little tweaking is in order there.

However, overall, we loved being part of it. We had no idea what a beautiful drive across the country it is, and many of us are already making plans to go back ... thank you all for your hospitality and for a wonderful party!!!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

PS - Does anyone know a production company that is putting together a video or clips from Sunday? What about local news feeds? Not much was shown on C-Span here in Indianapolis, and most of us had camera problems or ran out of battery or videotape, so a more professional production of the music would be greatly desired. Please let me know if you hear of anything. Thanks

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

Congrats to all who made the celebration such a rousing success. Those of us who could only view it from afar through news reports , videos and photos of the Queen certainly appreciate all the hard work that went into it and it really makes me want to come and visit your wonderful area soon. I'd love to see a DVD if it becomes available. Thanks for the report Zoey!

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

myheart - i am glad you guys had a great time. i do think this event will be a great help to our lagging tourist industry for years to come. Jamestown is one of my fav places for a quiet day - and to see the way it has changed over the decades is amazing. We heard the food complaints from many - especially groups such as your trying to eat between performances.

retireinmaui - you know nothing about me, and have made some very wrong conclusions. I have supported the AW event both financially and behind the scenes for years. I have lived here forever, saw The Queen 50 years ago, have held elected office and worked for every philanthropic endeavor in the area.

I have worked the golf tournament since its inception - when it was a PGA event. I made a committment years ago to the golf tournament - before the 400th was planned. My position does not allow me to be in 2 places at one time - I literally changed clothes friday between the 2 events to get to the reception with the Governor on time and changed back on the way to handle something for the players. The timing of the 2 events could not have been worse for those us committed and involved - which were many.

don't make assumptions on which you know nothing

8. Re: Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 July 2012, 03:19
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

bridgefan, what any of us on these forums know about you is based solely on what you have posted; we have no other way of knowing you or knowing about you. Therefore, if we have the wrong impression, it is due to your own words. You can sometimes be helpful, but you are very often negative, condescending, dismissive, rude, and sometimes downright nasty, on this forum as well as on others. If you want us to improve our opinion of you, think, every time, before you click submit. I always think, is it true? is it kind? is it helpful? Well, in this case, it is true, it may not be kind, but if it helps you take a good long look at yourself and how you respond to others on these forums, then it may be helpful.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamestown 400th goes out with a bang!

i do not care what other posters think about me based on opinions. I object to this statement from retireinmaui:

"Some ,as noted above would rather attend a golf outing to follow a white ball on some green grass and boast of their importance than to support the fine job that many have done to promote our history!

"

to make this statemnt based on anything I have posted is erroneous. I never posted anything about my contributions to either event - they have nothing to do with my opinions on restaurants, lodgings or anything TA related.

My opinions are just that - and no one should take them for anything more. I am blunt, a pragmatist and honest, people who do not like those characteristics should skip my answers. This is not kindergarten.