We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg w/kids 7 & 10 early July

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Williamsburg w/kids 7 & 10 early July

We want to take kids to Williamsburg for 1st time. Oldest son just started learning about Colonial America and is curious about CW, but he's also really looking forward to Water Country :)

1. Some say not to buy the CW tix, ahead of time at least, especially if young, easily bored kids are going (like my 7 yo). What are opinions on this? Can we enjoy CW without tickets?

2. How does CW compare to Jamestown Settlement? I read that JS is a smaller version (& less $) than CW. Should we consider paying for Jamestown and just walking thru CW?

3. Anyone familiar with the 2 Hampton Inns? They both get great reviews and only dif. in rooms seems to be dbl vs qn beds. Is one location better than other?

4. Is Busch Gardens worthwhile for 10 & 7 yo kids who are not extreme riders?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

(in case anyone noticed previous postings, we've been incredibly indecisive this year about where to vacation but we've decided against Virginia Beach and DC for now....)

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg w/kids 7 & 10 early July

Some people say they enjoy CW without tickets...I don't think you can get the total experience without visiting the sites such as the Palace, the Courthouse, and the Capitol, let alone all the trade sites. Ask about kids' activities...there might be something going on specifically for kids that your 7-year old will like.

Jamestown and CW are not comparable...they are two entirely different historic time periods. You should visit both.

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
68 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg w/kids 7 & 10 early July

I agree with RQT. We just returned from CW and not purchasing tickets means you will miss out on a lot of things. We got length of stay tickets for the Triangle and that worked great. We were able to split the days up and do Jamestown one morning and CW in the afternoon and the same with Yorktown. This allowed them to experience different things and not get so burned out. The Palace was one of the kids favorite places (we had a very good tour guide) and Revolutionary City really helped them get involved. Although, I will caution that in July Rev. City will be a bit long and you might find it easier to see only a portion of it. We also did an evening program and they really enjoyed that.

Jamestown is very different from CW. But my kids liked the fort the best since it seemed to be the most hands on. The boys especially liked Jamestown. I think it is hard to compare it with CW, though. They are really different in a lot of ways and ,again, in two different time periods.

As far as Busch Gardens: There are so many things to do there aside from the roller coasters. I have a 13 yr old boy that does not like roller coasters that much but he enjoyed the Loch Ness Monster and Alpinegest. They both had loops but because of the harnesses you felt more secure. He really wasn't that frightened by them at all. Of course you can judge your childrens' "fear" level! Also there are a couple of really good water rides. The park itself is really nice.

3. Re: Williamsburg w/kids 7 & 10 early July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 23:17