We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

California
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

We're only in Williamsburg for three days. One day for Busch Gardens, another for Jamestown/Yorktown and a third for Willaimsburg.

I know you can enter the grounds for free. Can you do anything else without a ticket? Are the exhibit buildings free? Can we enter the stores without a ticket? I assume we can eat in the resataurants, too.

I'm just trying to reduce my budget, and thought we could focus on Jamestown and Yorktown and just walk around in Wiliamsburg.

JT

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

You can walk the streets and see the buildings and the gardens from the streets. You can enter the (retail) shops and the taverns. None of the exhibit buildings are free.

I'll post the link to a discussion of this topic earlier this year: tripadvisor.com/…6524600

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

Don't come all the way from California and miss the opportunity to visit in depth one of the best historical sites in the US. Buy the tickets and go into every building that your time allots. Don't miss the Palace, the Capitol, the Courthouse, the windmill, the milliner, the wig maker. You will learn so much about the history of our country. As much as I like the taverns, I would say buy the tickets and get your meals elsewhere.

Iowa
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

Zoey, I went to the link you provided for tickets and did not see the 6-4-1 package. Is that still available? We are not wanting the water park. We want the triangle and BG. Although there are preteens and teens in our group we will be visiting Virginia Beach for our water fill. Can you enlighten? Thanks!

Iowa
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

Sorry, to clarify, Zoey.... I went to your link and then to gowilliamsburg.com.

I didn't explain that correctly.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

I believe the 6-4-1 is available only when Water Country is closed. You can contact gowilliamsburg and ask them, however. And let us know what you find out!

California
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

In thast case, should we just skip Busch Gardens? Even with the library discount, it's still $190 for one day, and from what I've read, it's hot and croweded.

We will be coming off a week in Myrtle Beach, so will have "played". We'll be arriving later on Saturday (we plan to stop and see the US Army Transportation Museum at Fort Eustis on the drive in). We are planning on leaving Wednesday about noon, but that may change; we may have to leave Tuesday evening (we'll know July 9)

We are Disneyland/Disneyworld fans, and live near Great America......is Busch Gardens really worh it? (Dh has been and wants to go, but despite three previous trips to Williamsburg, I've never been)

Just as some extra info....my kids all actually like history......they loved Mount Vernon, we spent two full days at Gettysburg. DD loves the American Girl connection, and both boys are "into" Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWII, etc)

Maybe we should just focus on the historical aspect this trip?

JT

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

From everything you've said, I'd say skip BG. If your hotel has a pool, that'll be cooling and refreshing and fun, and you can dig in to the history at CW. Revolutionary City will be in the mornings and can easily educate in an entertaining way about how things were before and during the American Revolution - well worth the time and money, in my opinion.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

The Colonial Williamsburg experience is unique....especially if you're from California. Buy a ticket for two of your days and take your time to enjoy what the historic area has to offer -- magnificent old buildings, interpretors that make them come alive, and the "Revolutionary City" program offered every morning that puts our break from the Crown into perspective. Don't forget to enjoy and evening in CW, also. Dine at one of the taverns or in Merchant', and cap the evening off with the CW tavern ghost walk that starts in front of Shields Tavern. If your kids love "living" the history, this is the place to be....

Enjoy your visit!

Cleveland Heights...
Level Contributor
196 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

Personally, I'd say get the 2 day ticket and that should give you enough time to experience CW properly. Be sure to pick up the weekly guide of scheduled events - it also includes a large fold-out map of CW which I used a lot.

There are SO many scheduled events (besides touring the buildings), you'll need at least 2 days just to plan for what your group is interested in.

If it's going to be a hot weather day, I'd say visit the Palace and other buildings before it gets really hot. Then go to Merchant's Square

for lunch - there's a great deli called the Cheese Shop that has great food at reasonable prices. (Food inside CW is WAY overpriced and the quality is poor - my only complaint about CW).

In Merchant's Square there is a movie theater that CW uses to hold events with historical interpretors - the day we went, we listened to a man dressed as Jefferson, he was fantastic! He started by describing his life and accomplishments, and then took questions.

The theater is ari conditioned, so this will give your group a chance to rest and get re-energized to go back in the heat.

The Courthouse should be part of your visit, they pick people from the audience to participate in typical cases of colonial times.

When you are in Merchant's Square, go to the bookstore to purchase souvineers - much better pricing than inside CW!

The best way to make sure you have a good CW experience is to study it as much as possible beforehand, so you have a plan before you go in. There will be lines, so expect to wait.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colonial Williamsburg: What can you get into free?

It would be a shame to come all the way across the country and not see Colonial Williamsburg while here. Busch Gardens is a lovely park and great fun but still just another amusment park. You may want to consider purchasing a Historic Triangle Pass for $69.75 per adult and $30 for youths 6-17. It is actually a 5 day pass but you can date it for only three if you like. This pass gives you access to all the historic buildings and daytime programs at CW and 50% discounts on evening programs, both parks at Jamestown and both sites at Yorktown. Included is the shuttle to all sites that leaves from the CW Visitor's Center every half hour each day. This will give you the opportunity to divide your time among the historic sites as you wish and is an economic way to do so. If you do want to dine at a CW Tavern, call 1-800-HISTORY before you come for reservations - they fill quickly.