We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining suggestions?

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Dining suggestions?

We are two adults with interests in all food types -- could you recommend some nice restaurants in Williamsburg -- Norfolk/Porstmouth and VB too for that matter, we will be staying there as well.

We have booked one night at the obligatory CW property (Christina's) but am interested in other good options -- prefer not to break the bank consistently -- entrees under $30 are nice. Casual is fine -- fancy is fine (although not over the top, jackets only if we can help it) as long as the food is super and interesting.

Gourmets -- let me know what there is; oh, and local cuisine is always much appreciated in any venue.

Thanks from a Canadian who loves Southern cooking.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining suggestions?

You might want to consider booking an evening at A Chef's Kitchen. http://www.achefskitchen.biz/index.html

A chance to watch and learn from a professional chef, former chef at Colonial Williamsburg, and cookbook author John Gonzales. Really a treat if you are into gourmet cooking.

va
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining suggestions?

Don't miss the Fat Canary. Located in Merchant Square right in colonial Williamsburg, it is small so definitely make reservations in advance. You won't be sorry!

Dominican Republic
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining suggestions?

I'm from dominican republic and i'm also planning on staying over there to visit my girlfriend for our anniversary what would be a fancy place for dinner ? Also do you guys know the American's best value inn hotel, if so is it any good?

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining suggestions?

We had a dinner at the Trellis in Merchants Square (http://www.thetrellis.com/) Wonderful crabcake/asparagus appetizer & the main course selections we had were also excellent. I had the flounder/crab with white corn--certainly local & seasonal ingreds. Somebody there has written a book about chocolate so you can imagine what the desserts are like. I had Death by Chocolate--had to bring most of it back to condo but that's OK, had it for breakfast! Yum!

The Jamestown Pie company on rte 31 (on way to Jamestown) has wonderful pies---we have a pecan pie we brought home waiting to be dessert tonight---so if you want to have some traditional Southern cooking, you should pick up a pie there! The first night we were dog tired & half our party had gotten off a very delayed plane very late the night before, so we picked up indiv. pot pies from here & ate them wearing our jammies in the condo, after a bit of reheating (the pies that is). They were wonderful.

They have a farmers market on Tues on that square & I saw a guy with local sweet corn--ours comes in in late July & it was tempting to buy some & cook in condo (picking up butter at grocery) but that was the night at the Trellis & it would not have been as good if I let it sit in fridge. If you are staying at a place where you can do that & on a night of farmers market, think about it. It will be a while before you see fresh sweet corn in Canada!

Have a wonderful time!

Virginia
Level Contributor
101 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining suggestions?

We have lived in Williamsburg for about a year. We have tried every place around here to eat. The BEST place hands down is Fat Canary. If you can't get a reservation, go in and sit at the bar. They serve dinner there. David and Scott will treat you great! Attire is whatever you want to wear. You see everything from formals to shorts.

NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining suggestions?

We really enjoyed our dinner at Second Street Bistro. Nice atmosphere, good quality food, varied modern American/fusion menu, very helpful and friendly waitstaff. Great shrimp with smoked gouda grit cakes, juicy burgers, good calamari, pasta, nice selection of beers, wine, kids menu. A non-touristy, very reasonably priced local find.

Also had good, inexpensive authentic Mexican at Tequila Rose - recommended by our hotel staff. Very casual (we ate on outside patio), large portions, good service.

ValleyRidgeMountains
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining suggestions?

there is a wonderful, I mean wonderful chinese buffet right next to the kmart off of waller mill road. The food is amazing and don't be fooled by the 10 charge per person, this place has won award after award and you can dress however you want and you can enjoy good food there and not break your piggy bank! You don't have to spend alot of money ot enjoy this area, I lived there for many years and most places are tourist traps....there are some wonderful places to visit that are very modertaely priced!

Ohio
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining suggestions?

Another vote for the Fat Canary, order whatever the special is when you're there, it's bound to be great.

The best of the Taverns in CW is Kings Arms.

If you're there on a Sunday, brunch at Williamsburg Inn can't be beat, jacket required.

I'd make reservations for all 3 of these before leaving home if visiting during tourist season.

ValleyRidgeMountains
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining suggestions?

to the person who is looking for a nice place to stay, I would reccomend the ramada 1776...it is very nice, located the better part of town, be careful where you stay, some are in the not so nice parts and you pay alot of extra money so you can walk to CW. The ramada 1776 is priced nicely around 100 a night, has a great pool, beautiful amenties, a great restarant that also has outdoor bistro seating, is situated in the back away from all the noise from the major roads is in the middle of it all!

Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining suggestions?

Thank you so much all of you! I will make reservations and have noted the other suggestions. My request re: attire was mostly geared to the spaces that are very exclusive. We polish up and like to enjoy our meals out.

Reservations will be made before we leave. We are staying at the Williamsburg Lodge, so should be OK for the 'right part of town'. I'll advise after our return. If anyone has any words of advice, I'll be checking the sites on-route.

Thanks again.