We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Latest Powhatan Plantation Review

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
413 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
The Latest Powhatan Plantation Review

My sister in law and I arrived late on July 6th (almost July 7th by the time we got there) and found that the ground floor unit we were promised was no longer assigned to us. We had made our reservations through Resort Rentals International back in April but I had also double-checked on July 5th to make sure everything was correct. They assured me it was.... but lo and behold, when we arrived, the clerk said they had never requested ground floor and there were none available. I stepped away to call RRI and got voice mail but upon returning to the desk, a different clerk did some re-arranging and we got our unit. It was in building 77 which was great because it was the farthest away from everything which meant more peaceful and wooded views.

My impressions of the grounds: Very pretty for the most part. Congested, but it IS a complex so thats what we'd expect. The outdoor pool was nice. Two pools separated by a walkway and some trees. One for 18 and older and one for the younger ones. The adult pool was quiet most of the time. The indoor pool was dirty, peeling paint, very cold and overall, VERY unappealing.

The condo unit was a nice size with fridge, stove, microwave (no turntable), dishwasher, washer and dryer, vacuum, iron and ironing board. Starter supplies provided. The dryer took a very long time to dry anything but it did eventually get the job done. The decor was yuck! 70's "country" blues on the walls and couches. None of the furniture matched AT ALL! Clashed even. I will be posting pics in the hotel section of TA. The beds were comfortable and so were the pillows. The carpet was dirty and I would NOT have sat on it. There were a pair of flip flops left sticking out from under my bed by the previous renter so I guess that means the floor wasn't vacuumed. The shower was crusty with soap scum. The jacuzzi had candy wrappers left around it. The blinds were bent, missing slats or the mechanisms were broken. The window in the jacuzzi room was left open. The patio furniture was old, peeling, faded and stained. It was very hard to get a good night sleep because we were living on a different time schedule than the people upstairs. They were very nice folks but they slept in and stayed up late. Walking on these floors causes quite a bit of noise down below. Roofs in this resort were so bad some were actually sagging. Windows were clouded from broken seals between the two panes. People were parking on grass and laundry bags were left on lawns for a day or two at a time. We paid $999 for 7 nights here and really feel like we paid too much. We had good tv reception, good water pressure and plenty of hot water, nice outdoor pools and some pretty areas on the grounds and lots of geese and rabbits around.

Not a total wreck but we wouldn't pay that much for something like that again.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Latest Powhatan Plantation Review

And that, my dear friends, is why I don't mind staying at a budget motel (preferably on Capital Landing Road), for $238 for 6 nights!

Sometimes I just am amazed at the completely differant reviews for the same places. Just goes to show ya', differant strokes for differant folks.

Hope you are having a wonderful time, Tena, I've been waiting to read your reviews.

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
413 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Latest Powhatan Plantation Review

I just got home last night and I have a TON of reviews to write! We did it ALL!

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Latest Powhatan Plantation Review

I guesss with this place your luck depends on which unit you get! But I agree; I don't think the staff cleaned the floors in ours either. Although the bathroom & kitchen sinks, tubs, etc were clean, and the presence of prettily arranged towels, soaps etc indicated they had been in the unit.

I think that if they have a checklist of what cleaning staff is supposed to do, it is not being followed by all, and they wd be smart to do surprise spot checks on the "cleaned" units. And were I the mgr I wd give surprise $$ bonuses, or gift certs to local stores (such as Walmart for back to school supplies, or the grocery store), to those who adhered to the list faithfully, on a monthly basis. Yeah, I know they're supposed to clean the place, but it isn't being done, and they have to do something to ensure it gets done.

I would have called the decor 80's "country" myself---70's is orange shag carpet & avocado green & harvest gold---going along with the "colonial" thing in the area----not my personal taste but heck, it's a timeshare rental & if they want to use corny quilt patterned wallpaper, I don't care. It's more relaxing than all black & white & stainless steel. And the furniture was new or new enough to look & smell new, and went with each other.

If this place is 25 yr old I bet it was built during the time of the bad plywood---there was a huge amount of plywood just about that time that was made with a glue that deteriorated under shingles in the summer heat. Leading to roofs just about dissolving after not many years. Middle & low end housing esp. condo developers got hit hard by this plywood & in our area there were lawsuits all around---homeowners' assos. agst builders, builders agst the mfrs. of the plywood, etc etc. And the developers had to rip off all the roofs & lay down new plywood, then reroof. None of these places are ever built to last 100 years--the materials are always mediocre at best, and the laborers are not exactly Norm Abrams' crew--and that includes most new single family houses too btw. I cringe when I drive past houses under constr. in our area--many of which will list over 1 million, and are built of c...p

Sunterra bought a resort built by someone else who had been out to make a quick buck--and now they will have to deal with structural problems.

The grounds maintenance staff does their job way better than housekeeping---pretty plantings, all weeded & mowed & someone landscaped thoughtfully, too.

BTW if you want to have a quiet floor for the people below you, put fiberglas insulation between the floor joists when building. Also between the rooms inside the walls, esp. the bathrooms. We did it in our addition on the advice of a former builder & boy does it work.

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
413 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Latest Powhatan Plantation Review

Wow, that plywood thing could certainly explain the sagging roofs because almost all that we saw were where the downspouts poured off the dormers onto the roof overhangs below.

The grounds WERE pretty for the most part and I loved the animals on the property. We were glad we got a unit on the far edge of the complex too.

Oh, and I do believe you're right... 80's Country, not 70's. But, our unit differed than yours in that our furniture did NOT match and wasn't new.

It wasn't totally unacceptable. Just not worth the $999 we paid in my opinion.

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Latest Powhatan Plantation Review

Yeah---we paid a bit over $800 but our $$ went to a youth choir---the unit had been donated as a Silent Auction item in the choir's fundraising event. So no matter what we paid it was all going to the choir. I would have found a hotel charging far less, if I had been doing it "the usual" way.

6. Re: The Latest Powhatan Plantation Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 20:15