We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to find a certain resturant

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
371 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to find a certain resturant

My mom says years ago she drove out past Jamestown and there was a place that would bring a board with peanut butter and you could make your own peanut butter sandwiches and stuff. Do you know what it is? Thanks!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to find a certain resturant

I believe it must have been the Surry House Restaurant (not sure of the exact name). Yes, it was past Jamestown. You have to cross the river on the ferry. It was never a favorite of mine so I haven't been in years but I did hear recently that it had closed. Others may know more.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
371 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to find a certain resturant

She didnt mention a ferry but I will have to ask her. Maybe that will help me get my answer. Thanks!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to find a certain resturant

Yes, that was the Surrey House. It served traditional local fare for many years. Peanut butter made from locally produced peanuts was a specialty. It closed for several months but I understand it has reopened under new management. I have not been since the reopening so have no idea if the menu has changed. It is located about 2 miles beyond the Scotland Ferry dock.

Melba, Idaho
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to find a certain resturant

We were in Wmsbrg last Oct. and the Surrey House had reopened, just a few weeks before we arrived. It was much cleaner than the year before when we ate there. At that time we were the only customers. But on our last visit the place was packed, and the peanut pie was delicious! I didn't see anyone getting peanut butter served on a board, but it sounds live a novel idea.

Oh, by the way the ferry ride is free, and it's a relaxing ride over.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to find a certain resturant

Oh wow! Thanks for the memories...we used to go to the Surrey house on Sunday for lunch when I was a kid. (Lived in W'burg in early 70s) My bro and I loved the ferry ride but hated waiting so long to be seated. I remember something about sampling peanut butter. I sure remember the PB pie and I think "shoefly" pie.

Wonder if it's worth a stop with my kids on the way to W'burg from my parents? We were thinking about taking 460 through Petersburg (my folks live near Lynchburg) and coming across on the ferry instead of taking I-64 from Richmond area.

6. Re: Trying to find a certain resturant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 10:17