We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better?

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
360 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better?

I dont know which I should pick...Williamsburg in October for the fall or in May for the spring?? Which would you locals say is the best? And what time of the year do the trees usually change there? Im originally from Ohio and now live in N.C. and I miss the fall colors so much. Thanks for your help!

Williamsburg, VA
Level Contributor
203 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better?

In my opinion, FALL is the best time to visit - weather's nice, lots of stuff going on (pre-Xmas excitement!) and it IS pretty as the leaves start to turn.

Weather is also nice in the spring, but depending on when you come in May, it can be crowded if it's W&M graduation time (on May 11, Mother's day for 2008); there is also the Michelob Ultra Golf Tournament (May 05-May 11, for 2008) that goes on around the same time.

As far as the exact best time to view the fall colors, that varies from year to year depending on amount of rain, what summer was like, etc. There is some website where you can actually find out that information---as it gets closer to fall they predict which week the fall colors will be at their peak--I don't know the web address, but I'm sure you can google it.

Hope that helps--although others may have a different opinion!

I think we would at least all agree that summer is the WORST time to be in hot/humid southeastern virginia!

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
572 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better?

October is my favorite month in Williamsburg. Summer crowds are gone, the weather is balmy, no humidity, but usually no leaf change yet. The mountains of VA are beautiful then but our color change usually does not occur until Nov. if at all. As SydneyB said, the summer rainfall and heat makes a difference as to when leaf change happens here - sometimes we go from green to dead, like last fall. If you wait until Nov. to come, keep in mind that we convert to Christmas season during Thanksgiving week when prices go up on programs, no discounts apply and holiday decorating begins.

Spring tends to be cool and wet. And great hordes of school and tour groups descend on the area. I would choose autumn.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better?

I'll be coming in May next year (around Memorial Day weekend). I hope it's not too crowded then. I'm not sure when school is out in Virginia. I'm assuming it won't be too hot in late May.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better?

We've mostly gone in April or May. Not to worry, MATTER, I didn't think it was overly crowded in May. As a matter of fact, we were there the weekend of W and M graduation, and it didn't seem extraordinarily crowded. Didn't seem to be a lot of grade school kids either. It was sort of rainy and chilly in April, May seems to be hot or chilly, take a jacket and umbrella. I like going in the spring.

I have been there in October, also. I liked it then, too. I don't think I'd go in the summer after all these HOT reports. Winter would be out for me, too. Altho, I'm sure the grand illumination would be something to see. (I'm just not a "cold" person.)

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time!!!

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better?

oops, I meant MABBER, not matter.

canada
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better?

if you really want to see fall colors ..come to ontario

in october they are stunning

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better?

We have also been to CW in both May and October. I prefer October since there were fewer visitors, and the weather was just a bit better. Whichever you choose, I am sure you will have a good time.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
360 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better?

I just knew u were all gonna say October! ughhh...now i really wanna go and Im in college and cant get time off till Thanksgiving! Im assuming the rates go up at that time as well as it colder..sigh..I guess I will have to wait till May. Then again 1 or 2 days of hookie...=)

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is better?

I like both times of year. In May all the azaleas are out, and CW has flowers all over the place. May weather can be dodgy. One year it'll be summer weather and the next could be chilly and wet. Just check the forecast before packing. Late May all the college kids will be gone, but school groups could still be touring in force.

If you're in NC and looking for fall colors...I might recommend the Asheville area (i.e. Batcave and places like that; and no I'm not joking, it's a real place). The Williamsburg area in general has more pine trees than deciduous.

10. Re: Which is better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 22:16