We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

History Channel Alert

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
History Channel Alert

Sat. March 27, 8 p.m. EST. A show called "Written In Bone". Among other things, Doug Owsley, who is a forensic archeologist at the Smithsonion, does his thing with some of the remains from Jamestown Island. Sounds interesting to me.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,902 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: History Channel Alert

Oh, thanks! That does look interesting!

Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: History Channel Alert

Sat. March 29?

Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: History Channel Alert

Thanks -- the book "No Bone Unturned" about Owsley is on my reserve list at the library.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: History Channel Alert

Oops, Kansas, you're right. It's Sat. the 29th. So sorry. It does sound very interesting. I didn't know about the book.

Melba, Idaho
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: History Channel Alert

Thanks Macrac for the info. I just love the way that you and Zoey are so generous with keeping all of us, "tuned" in for any airing on TV. I truly enjoyed the John Adams miniseries that I got to view last weekend. Just watching the scences at the Capital, and Bruton Parish church, just gave me the warm and fuzzies, cause I could connect with being back in beautiful CW.

I am so looking forward to our trip in the fall!

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: History Channel Alert

Country Girl, you are so sweet. Thank you for your kind words. I'm excited thinking about your trip!!! And buckeye, let us know about that book when you get done reading it. It sounds so interesting. I don't know if our little library will ever get it, but ya' never know.

Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: History Channel Alert

Macrac, I finally finished reading "No Bone Unturned." It was very interesting but evaluation of colonial era remains was only a minor topic (the lead coffins in St. Marys City, MD, and a brief discussion of Owlsley's recognition that some African-American bones excavated from Jamestown in the 40's and 50's had been erroneously classified as those of Indians). The author initially intended to write a book about the legal battle by Owsley and other scientists to prevent return of Kennewick Man (who they believed was most closely related to the Ainu of northern Japan) to Native American tribes but shifted to focus to Owsley. Unfortunately, the lengthy coverage of the legal battle was less interesting than the forensics (and I'm a lawyer!). Definitely worth a read if you're interested in forensic archeology generally.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: History Channel Alert

Hi Buckeye, thanks for the report. The t.v. show didn't have a lot to do with Jamestown either. But I'll watch anything that has anything to do with Jamestown!! The book, "Martin's Hundred" by Ivor Noel Hume is about his discovery of "Wolstonholme Towne" (By the river at Carter's Grove). Pretty much over my head, tho. Lot's of diagrams and technical stuff. His book "The Virginia Adventure" is an easier read, for me, anyway. Also his "Here Lies Virginia-an archaeologist's view of Colonial Life and History" is a pretty good book, too. This man cracks me up. He has this very witty way with words and I can tell he has a wonderful sense of humor. I guess he is still living in the Williamsburg area and has worked on many sites around there including the "Rosewell Ruins"

I would like to recommend another book, altho I know this isn't a book review forum, but this does pertain to Williamsburg, someone might be interested. I have just finished "An Imperfect God-George Washington, his slaves, and the Creation of America" by Henry Wiencek. I have never read anything about GW that doesn't portray him as an almost "godlike" human being. Well, this book really shatters the myth. It portrays him as a "real person" with all the flaws and bad habits that we all have. There is one chapter on his and Martha's time in Williamsburg,(A Scheme in Williamsburg") But what really threw me for a loop was that maybe, just maybe, he had a son named West Ford by his slave named "Venus" Apparently this is not new news, but it was to me. And he wasn't, according to the book, that interested in freeing his slaves. I mean, like, yeah, he freed SOME of them, AFTER his and Martha's death, of course. I don't mean to knock the big guy,but I think it's great to read some things about our forefathers that isn't all sugar-coated. Any comments??? Thanks again buckeye.

9. Re: History Channel Alert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 11:19