We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

connecticut
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

We are staying at the Marriott Ford Colony, and are coming to Williamsburg because it is a reasonable drive (8 hours from CT) and mainly to play golf. I don't want to miss the opportunity to visit CW or possibly Jamestown, but I need help! My boys are not history buffs and although they loved museums, etc as little kids, it is not high on their list now. If I can only get them to commit to one activity that will expose them to history but keep their interest, what should we do? I am thinking about the ghost tour, other than that, HELP!

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

I understand - and know there is plenty to do, especially if they golf - we have an abundance of nice courses.

Not knowing your children but knowing they're not history buffs I'd consider Jamestown island - the NPS section is my fav - both are nice and you can do them both in 1/2 - 3/4 day, be outside, and leave whenever they are ready.

Are you going to Busch Gardens? When is your trip?

Besides BG and golf maybe 1/2 day at the Yorktown beach, also we have great parks - you can rent a small jon boat at the chickahominy riverfront park for a few bucks and just cruise close to the shore.

What courses are you playing?

Virginia
Level Contributor
74 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

The Ghost Tour is always good- gets rave reviews from all of our out of town visitors and has enough to keep teenagers interested. This week Busch Gardens is open for Spring Break so there you have it as far as entertainment for adolescents...as well as adults. In my opinion, way more fun than golf, but go figure. Have them check out the College of William and Mary Campus Tour if you'd like them to aspire to postgraduate experience...W&M has some of the best student guides on any campus. Give them a taste of the best our country has to offer!

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

We agree with Petrus....the Colonial Williamsburg Tavern Ghost Walk is great and a very popular tour...we were on it a few nights ago with out of town guests and it was entertaining and fun. The guides are really good at what they do and manage to captivate the audience the entire time with really interesting stories.

Be sure to book the one run by Colonial Williamsburg -- the one that begins in front of Shield's Tavern. There are a few that run tours from town but they aren't nearly as good, and they are not part of CW.

Busch Gardens is a pretty special place for young folks. If your boys are old enough to be on their own, it's possible for you to drop them off and go play golf. Then everybody gets their daytime fun!

connecticut
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

Thanks for your great suggestions! My husband is handling the golf...any recommendations for him? We are staying near Jamestown so I think we will shoot over there. The ghost tour sounds great...can anyone recommend a place to eat near where the tour leaves? Many thanks...any and all suggestions are helpful!

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

hi, I bet your 11 year old would love Jamestowne Settlement. (AND your 15 year old, once he gets there!) It has replicas of a native american village, 3 boats of which you can board at least one, and a replica of the first James Fort. Also has a wonderful new museum gallery. It is a great way of getting the boys to like, (or maybe even love) history. There is a cafe on site and it's not too bad.(I like it) I love the original Jamestowne Historic Island, also, it has a new museum, statues of John Smith and Pocahontas, archeological digs and the original church tower, circa 1693. If you go there, make sure you stop at the Glasshouse, it's right before you get to the Historic Island, you'll see signs. I think there is a little snack shop on the Island for sandwiches and drinks. They also have ranger guided tours, and someone on this site mentioned the "chicken lady", altho I've never seen her, they say she is quite interesting.

Have a great time!

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

I'm adding to macrac's post...the Chicken Lady is absolutely terrific. She will keep you entertained for an hour with her first person interpretation. Ask when you pull into the settlement if she is scheduled for the day.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

Great Suggestions so far. But don't forget the water park. We're over 50 and went there with our daughter on a dreary day when it wasn't crowded. What a blast. We had so much fun. Haven't had that much water fun since Typhoon Lagoon in Orlando. And without the crush of kids since the weather wasn't perfect I didn't even have to feel out of place! Lots of different rides/slides for all ages. Stayed at Manor Club on a different trip. Wonderful. As you are probably aware, the golf courses wind their way past Marriott and the residential community of Ford's Colony. It was still chilly when we visited and we were able to walk the cart paths.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

oops, I misstyped. The church tower is circa 1639. But I did read where the experts think it might be a little more recent. Like a decade or two makes much differance. It's still old.

Delaware
Level Contributor
156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

My sister took her pre-teen and 13 year old daugthers to the CW area, and her girls really liked Jamestown Settlement. Busch Gardens and the waterpark were also a hit. I appreciated your post because I am taking a pre-teen to CW in June and was wondering what would grab his interest. Thanks to all who replied. Looks like the Ghost Tour will be on our list.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
306 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting with 11,15 boys-not into history-HELP

the ghost tour may be fun for an evening, but i wouldnt take them touring CW during the day. I'd recommend Historic Jamestowne, and possibly Jamestown Settlement. My 10 year old also loved CW, but he's totally into history. I think your sons would be bored there.