We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation with 3 year old-any suggestions?

Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Family vacation with 3 year old-any suggestions?

Me, my husband and my 3 year old are going to Williamsburg in mid June. The only thing I have scheduled is a trip to Busch Gardens. Anyone have any suggestions for family fun with a 3 year old? I want to go to CW but I need suggestions on what to do for a 3 year old there. Also, any suggestions for restaurants for little ones. Thanks for any help.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation with 3 year old-any suggestions?

With our 3 year old, the biggest hits of CW were: riding the bus, watching the horses pull carriages, visiting Great Hopes Plantation (right across the bridge from the Visitor's Center), picking up and collecting stones, and running through the gardens at the Governor's Palace. Okay, so he didn't learn much history! But "Will'burg" is now one of his favorite places. He didn't have the attention span for the longer tours, like the Capitol or the Governor's Palace. But the Wythe House was a good stop, as was the cabinetmaker and brickmaker. The gardens are fun to visit...you can see all kinds of plants growing. And there is a garden in back of the print shop, across the street from the cabinetmakers, that has the best little bridges.

In four visits in the last two years (our older son is very much into history), we've learned several other things. The Raleigh Tavern Bake Shop, up by the taverns, has cookies and cider for a midmorning snack. We enjoy eating outdoors behind Chouning's...it's a good lunch place where your children don't have to be as perfectly quiet as inside one of the taverns. There is a good pizza place (Stephanos?) in Merchants Square. Outside of Williamsburg, the Living Museum is worth the trip, especially if you're faced with a rainy day. I have the best pictures of our boys face to face with a huge tank of sea turtles!

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
309 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vacation with 3 year old-any suggestions?

delay your trip till your child is older?

check the city's site for local parks. make sure there's plenty for little ones before you go to busch gardens. in my experience, the larger the park, the less for wee ones. there's also a water park, which is more likely to have better age-appropriate attractions.

yorktown has a beach.

jamestown settlement might be good. there are lots of hands on opportunities and fun demonstrations.

if the child is into military stuff, there's a navy boat you can visit in newport news, i believe.

a nice children's museum in richmond.

Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation with 3 year old-any suggestions?

Try to get a hotel with a pool. Always fun for kids -- some of the best vacations we enjoyed the hotel pool.

Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family vacation with 3 year old-any suggestions?

For a family friendly restaurant, we enjoyed Sal's By Victor. It is a short drive from CW on Richmond Road. It has good, basic italian food (nothing fancy). Many kids, toddlers there so definitely family friendly.

Here are some reviews on Trip Advisor:

If you decide to go, read the reviews for tips to find the restaurant as it is a little tricky to find (it is in the corner of a plaza so difficult to see from the road). Best to look for the CVS or Blooms food store.

Manchester, NH
Level Contributor
204 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family vacation with 3 year old-any suggestions?

My 3 yr old LOVED Water Country USA. The 7 day bounce ticket between BG and WC USA is a good deal.

Newport News
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family vacation with 3 year old-any suggestions?

I also recommend the Virginia Living Museum in Newport News. There is so much to see and do! They have hands-on activities which are always great. They have an amazing dinosaur exhibit that is a must see! Also, if you can get your hands on a Newport News Visitor Guide, they have coupons in there for the museum.

7. Re: Family vacation with 3 year old-any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 05:30
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question