We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you go out of these three?

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where would you go out of these three?

My husband and I would like to take a trip to either Key West, Williamsburg, VA, or Branson, MO. We can't decide where to go. We live in Alabama, so all three places are about the same distance. Please help!!!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you go out of these three?

I haven't been to Key West, but I have been to Branson, and my choice would be Williamsburg. Williamsburg and the Historic Triangle have a lot to offer - history, tons of history! architecture and gardens, folk art, fine arts, drama, music, did I mention history? Busch Gardens, Water Country, etc. A lot depends on your interests, though. What about each of them interests you?

Alabama
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would you go out of these three?

Well, I thought that Branson would be countryside, Williamsburg would be history, and Key West would be beach. We like all three. I'm not really leaning toward Branson anymore, because all that I've seen that is there is Bass Pro headquarters (which we would LOVE to go to), and shows. We're not into shows at all, so I think we might get bored. I was excited about Busch Gardens, but we're going in December, and Busch Gardens is closed then.

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you go out of these three?

this all depends on what you are looking for out of a vacation. i was in key west last year and loved it. i plan to go back later this year or next year. i also love williamsburg. it has been some time since i was down there but i always had it in the back of my mind that i wanted to go back. can you let me know what you are looking for in a vacation so i can better answer?

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would you go out of these three?

eagr2trvl,

sorry, i just read your last post about going in december. perhaps key west will be better that time of year. it is the beginning of the busy season so rates will begin to rise at that point. check out more about me, i put a review in on the place we stayed down in key west. if you need more info, just let me know.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would you go out of these three?

Oh, December! Although Thanksgiving begins the holiday season here, Grand Illumination is the highlight, also can be pretty crowded, but it's fun! Grand Illumination is December 7 this year.

The holiday decorations are very creative in the Historic Area. They are made from all-natural materials (magnolia leaves, pine cones, seashells, etc. as well as things like pipes and wig curlers), so no glitz/glamour, but a lot of natural beauty. They are up through the first of the new year. There are illuminations of the various houses and buildings, with the streets lit by cressets, and carol singing following the illuminations. Just writing it brings back the sweet smells, the sound of the carols, the cheerfulness of it all.

Before we moved here, we would often come about a week after Grand Illumination and enjoy all the holiday season here has to offer.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would you go out of these three?

p.s. We have a Bass Pro Shop nearby, over in Hampton, VA.

Alabama
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would you go out of these three?

Zoey, when we got married, we both agreed that we should get married in December, because we both LOVE Christmas. We went to Gatlinburg for our honeymoon, and it was absolutely beautiful. We have to leave on December 4, though, because my husband has to be in a wedding (yuck). We both love to fish, so Bass Pro is heaven to us. We have one in Destin (about 2 1/2 hours away), and also one in Prattville (about 1 hour away). We love it! That's really the main reason we wanted to go to Missouri, but that's not really enough to do for five days. We don't really like going to any shows, so we've pretty much ruled that out. Thank you so much for the input! P.S.-When we have children, if we have a girl, I have seriously thought about naming her Zoe, but I like the "y" at the end of your name, so you don't have to use a diuresis (double-dot). You gave me an idea! :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would you go out of these three?

I would say a toss up between the beauty of Williamsburg during the holidays and the warmth and beaches of Key West.

I've been to all three of these places and would not recommend Branson, but that's me. We were just not impressed with it when we finally did make our way there last summer.

Virginia
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where would you go out of these three?

Key West does not have that many beaches. It's great for getting out on the water, but if you are expecting to get a nice beachfront hotel, I'm afraid they are scarce. Duval street is a really happening place where seemingly anything goes and Key West has its own unique history. It's a neat place to visit with tons to do in a tropical atmosphere, but it's not a place where you will find miles of beaches to tan and swim.

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where would you go out of these three?

Ha, Ha, eagr2, Zoey would try to get Santa Claus to move from the North Pole to Williamsburg if she could! The town's biggest booster for sure!

We have just gotten back from a week there, and I would say it depends on what you want from the trip---if beaches, not Wmsbg in Dec. Although there are great beaches not too far from there, in season. If amusement parks---well again, not Busch in Dec. You know where they are in Florida!

If a really pretty town, loads of lovely decorations, nice shopping (all kinds), restaurants for every level--Wiliamsburg is hard to beat.

The area also has some very nice museums & I don't only mean CW's. Norfolk has the Chrysler (art), Newport News the Mariners Museum (maritime), Wm & Mary College has a very nice art museum on campus. Jamestown has a new Archearium--archeology artifacts they have dug up there & very well presented. If you like museums--these are great especially as backups in case of bad weather. The Mariners one has what is left of the Monitor pickling in a giant tank & an excellent exhibit especially about ironclads, that battle, the discovery of the wreck & bringing it up (by NOAA), etc.