We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg Summer 2009

Rochester, NY
3 posts
Save Topic
Williamsburg Summer 2009

Does anyone have any tips for planning a Williamsburg trip for summer 2009? I'm thinking of a week in August. Are there times I should keep an eye out for discounts to be released?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg Summer 2009

I'm not an expert on the area, but I have a few tips:

Go to the Colonial Williamsburg website www.history.org

It is my understanding that evening dining at the various historic taverns should be booked in advance. Also, if you wish to stay in the historical accomodations, these should also be booked in advance. See the above website for information.

If you wish to save money on acomodations, book at any area motel (such as Hampton Inn or many others) regardless of exact location. Then drive to the free parking lot at the Visitors Center of Colonial Williamsburg and take the free (with CW ticket) bus transportation to the historic area.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,544 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg Summer 2009

Hi Mouse Skywalker:

We stayed at an official Williamsburg hotel, this past August ('08). Our tickets were free, with a 4 night stay. Nice savings.

This offer became available, around mid April.

A word of caution; Colonial Williamsburg employees told me to never book a CW package; i.e. spa, golf, etc. through CW. They informed us that the package price is higher, than booking/paying for activities, as used. Odd but true.

You should book tavern meals and evening programs, as soon as they are taking reservations. August was not very crowded, but the great programs were always sold out.

Have a great trip!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg Summer 2009

We were in Willaimsburg for a week earlier this year.

Check the Colonial Williamsburg website for their various ticketing options, then ask yourself "What are the things we really want to do?" and find the package with the options to match. For example, we'd been there before and initially thought about just a two-day pass this time. But then we looked at the weather forecast and decided we'd be better off going with a pass which provided more than just two days access. By doing so, we picked up some other options not included in the two-day option...

If you're going to get more than just a basic pass, think about some of the "special" or "behind the scenes" (can't remember the exact name they use) tours -- we signed up for one (included in the cost of our multi-day pass) that took us down to the stables where they keep the horses, historic carriages, etc. used in the historic area. Got to see some beautiful horses up close, heard some of the history of the carriages used in Williamsburg, and got to see a state-of-the art stable facility. Turned out to be one of the highlights of this year's visit!!

Would also recommend you take the Colonial Parkway for a very pleasant, very easy drive to Jamestown and Yorktown. Numerous scenic spots along the river to pull off, get out of the car, and decompress along the way. And a very nice historic presentation (at least at Jamestown -- didn't make it to Yorktown this year because of bad weather).

If you're looking for discounts, be sure to check out the pamphlets and other printed information available at local hotels (and elsewhere?). A few minutes of casual browsing during the first evening you're there can produce some sizeable discounts at local eateries.

New Jersey
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg Summer 2009

Im going to Williamsburg in August 0f 09 as well. Im working with a travel agent (vacationsnbeyond.com) they told me in march the tickets will be available for sale.

They recommended me the Bounce Ticket and Multi Ticket for jamestown, yorktown and battlefield. Its actually cheaper that way then the 7-4-1 flex ticket. Plus with flex ticket its only good for 7 days once used, the other way the tickets are still like that but the attractions are seperate. I hope im making sense.

They told me as well they will reserve the tour (haunted house).

I think some Hotels give you a deal if you stay with them so the more expensive hotels actually maybe better as I was told.

Good luck

PA
Level Contributor
229 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Williamsburg Summer 2009

I believe MainerOnTheGo is referring to the Bits and Bridle tour. We enjoyed this a few years ago. Our tour was led by an excellant volunteer who was so very knowledgable about all aspects of the stables, care of the animals, etc.

If it is available during your stay, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
572 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Williamsburg Summer 2009

These "behind the scenes" or "special focus walking tours" deal with various subject matters such as the stables and livestock facilities, historic gardens, research and preservation facilities, artifact restoration and interpretation, etc. They are available only if you have a hotel guest or annual pass, then with reservations when you arrive. That is the way it stands now and has been for several years, so I do not anticipate any change for next year.

Rochester, NY
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Williamsburg Summer 2009

Thanks everyone. This has been helpful. Looks like I'll keep my eyes open for new rates and plan to come out in the spring - maybe March or April.

8. Re: Williamsburg Summer 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 21:17