We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

As part of our E coast of the USA trip we're coming to Willamsburg for 3 nights next April.

We're due to arrive by train @ 2133 on the 10th April and have already booked ourselves into the Hampton Inn on Bypass Road for 3 nights.

1. Will there be taxis at the Amtrak station to take us to the hotel?

2. As it will be the Easter weekend will everything be open or do some attractions close?

3. We won't have a car so is it feasible to look around Williamsburg one day and go to Jamestown the other (we'll be getting the train to Washington on the morning of the 13th).

Many thanks

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

Taxis typically meet all of the trains. To be sure, when you confirm your reservation with the Hampton Inn, ask them to have a taxi meet the train.

Easter weekend is a big tourism weekend here, so everything should be open, not closed! If you are interested in dining reservations at an historic tavern or particular restaurant, be sure to make them well in advance. Many dining establishments serve special Easter brunches and buffets on Easter Sunday.

Should you purchase a Colonial Williamsburg visitor pass, transportation between the historic area and the Jamestowne/Yorktown sites is provided by shuttle. We assume that the shuttle will be running next year; we have not heard that it will be discontinued.

Enjoy your visit!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

With all due respect to the Hampton, and knowing that there could be dozens of reasons you would choose to stay there, may I just observe that there are certain advantages to staying at Colonial Williamsburg properties, like the shuttle busses and deals on tickets.

I compared the internet rates for the Hampton and the Woodlands Hotel, which is one of 4 Williamsburg hotels, and at $119 per night, they were exactly the same. If you haven't looked at the hospitality page for CW, here it is: http://www.colonialwilliamsburgresort.com/.

Best of luck and happy travels. You have chosen very well to visit Williamsburg and Jamestown!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

I agree with nomonoloco. The convenience of staying at a CW hotel, special admission rates to CW, and availability of CW services like the shuttle buses make the Woodlands a great option. If you have not already committed to the Hampton Inn, check out the CW website above or www.history.org for lodging info. Easter is a busy time here. That is Spring Break for many schools across the country so make any reservations as soon as possible. There has been no info on when or if the Jamestown/Yorktown shuttle bus will begin operation next spring but that is the best mode of transportation between the sites and it picks up at the Visitors Center, next door to the Woodlands. I'll try to keep you posted.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

Thanks everybody - I'll have a think about changing.

Some more questions I'm afraid!

The Hampton Inn we've currently booked isn't listed and therefore has no reviews under "hotels" here. It's the one on Bypass Road - is it new or was it owned by someone else under a different name?

Where are the CW hotels you mention in relation to the Amtrak station please?

Thanks again

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

There are no reviews for the Hampton Inn on Bypass Road because it has not opened yet. It is still under construction, and was supposed to be open by October, 2008.

The CW lodgings are close to the train station -- not close enough to walk but less than a mile and certainly closer than the Hampton Inn. Staying at a CW property would enhance your experience here, as others have mentioned.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

Without a car and with a focus on the historic attractions of Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown (as opposed to the water park, amusement park and outlet mall)I personally would locate at the wooded, on-property hotel rather than a chain hotel on a busy street on the outskirts. More of an in-depth experience ... and there are those perks, too!

Best - Nomonoloco.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

Without a car, I think I would stay at one of the CW properties...see www.history.org for lodging info. The reason is that they are either walking distance or have CW shuttle access. They also provide free or discounted tickets to CW.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

Two of you mentioned the shuttle buses (to Yorktown/Jamestown) and didn't know when or if they would be running this spring. Is there any update on this please?

Many thanks

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

Here is a link to 2009 information about the shuttle:

nps.gov/colo/…publictransportation.htm

10. Re: Amtrak station to Hampton Inn and will anything be closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 09:20