We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

Michigan
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

We are a group of women who travel to a different area every year. One of the places we are considering for this year is Williamsburg. We travel in the fall for a long weekend. We will not have a car. We will fly into one of the area airports. Since we will fly in from Detroit, the Richmond airport has the most flights, but I know the Hampton/Newport is closest to Williamsburg. We are looking at prices and convenience of flights and also transportation option into Williamsburg from the airport.

Since there will be around 20 of us what is the best way to get from the airport to Williamsburg? Since we will not have a car we will probably stay on a Colonial Williamsburg property.

Any suggestions as to which weekend in Sept or Oct would be best to travel?

Thanks for your help!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

Southwest Air flys in/out of Norfolk Airport (ORF) which is just under 1 hour drive to Williamsburg. There is a shuttle provided by Carey VIP Airport Connection 757 963-0433 or 866 823-4626. I don't know the shuttle cost but maybe ORF will provide you another option to consider. Good luck.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

avoid norfolk (orf) if at all possible - no good transportation option at all - taxi or limo. and the tunnel is always iffy. someone last summer was insistent on using ORF - cost them another 90 to get to williamsburg - ridiculous in my opinion. 45-60 min

newport news (PHF) is by far the closest - and cheapest from airport to CW - a taxi is approx 25 (4 pax if carry-on, 3 with larger suitcases. You could contact VIP/Carey limosine and see about pricing for a small shuttle. 20-25 min

Richmond (RIC) has groome shuttle 45 pp each way, leaves the airport on the hour. I'd also check with VIP/Carey about shuttle from RIC. 45-60 min

PHF doesn't offer as many flights so depedning on your routing you may have to choose RIC - factor in all costs and time.

Good chocie for a girls week-end. Weather is nice, you can enjoy the outdoors. "Event" week-ends the rates may go up. Check out when An Occassion For The Arts - a nice little art show.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

http://www.anoccasionforthearts.org/

first week-end in october

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

Airtran www.airtran.com serves Newport News (PHF) which is the closest airport to Williamsburg (roughly 15 miles).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

Hello, ladies. Sounds like such a fun plan! Maybe some of us will have to join you! JK.

My family and I have used all 3 airports over the years, departing from both Midway and O'Hare in Chicago. Richmond gets my vote. It has the best array of flights, is a nice, friendly size, and offers the fastest commute to CW.

As you research CW hotels, do not overlook the Colonial Houses, which offer a unique opportunity to stay in actual 18th century buildings right in the restored area. Your party would have to split up, but you would be guaranteed a memorable experience!

Alternatively, the Lodge is also "on property" and has the large lobby and sprawling grounds that would accomodate a large group like yours very conveniently.

Our best for a great trip!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
153 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

bridefan said: "avoid norfolk (orf) if at all possible - no good transportation option at all - taxi or limo. and the tunnel is always iffy. someone last summer was insistent on using ORF - cost them another 90 to get to williamsburg - ridiculous in my opinion. 45-60 min"

I disagree with you. It was a lot cheaper to fly from Providence, the ONLY airport around, to Norfolk on Southwest and take a taxi. The trip was also shorter with one layover in Baltimore, an airport which I am extremely familiar with, instead of a lengthy layover in a far off city somewhere I've never been. To fly another airline would have taken my whole budget, allowing me to spend only a day or two in Williamsburg. Instead, I saved money and stayed for several days. i highly recommend Andy's Cab company. They were friendly and helpful. There was no to very little traffic. I took a short nap and woke up and was there. I stayed at the Williamsburg Hospitality House which is within walking distance of the Historic Area.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,891 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

QNPoohBear, thanks for coming back to post about your experiences. Actual personal experience is so helpful for people planning a trip here! I'm very glad you had such an enjoyable visit, and I hope you'll come back when you can.

8. Re: Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 January 2009, 11:58
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

Oops, sorry, of course PHF is the closest on the ground. Brain freeze.

It might even be the cheapest, especially when factoring in the cost of ground transportation for 20 people.

Bad airline routings, though, especially from the upper Midwest.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport shuttles to Williamsburg

Of course, PHF is the closest to CW, I fly Airtran to and from there, but, nomo is so right, it does have bad routing connections from the midwest. I have had to sit in the Atlanta airport for more then 3 hours waiting for my connecting flight. I have checked their Delta flights, too and they also have a layover in Atlanta. I have checked the Richmond and Norfolk airlines to see if they have non-stop flights, and I didn't find any, (if anybody does, I would like to know). I've found that Airtran is the best for me, pricewise, because I have to travel on the cheap, so I don't mind, if I can get my round trip tickets for less and it's only me sitting around waiting, now with 20 women, I don't know if you would want to do that.

Also, you might check into limo service to get you to CW. Dividing the cost between 20 of you, it might be less expensive. And more fun. My daughter and husband run a limo service and she tells me that all the time.

Your trip sounds wonderful pm, and I hope you all have a great time.