We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

North GA
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

Our Family may be taking a trip to Virginia in Early June. We would like to visit both Williamsburg and Virginia Beach. We would like to know if it would be better to stay in Williamsburg or at the beach. We will have a 6 and 11 year old and 2 grandparents to entertain.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

I like Williamsburg and I like the beach...two totally different areas however. I would stay in a hotel in CW for the amount of time you want to spend there and then move on to stay at the beach in a hotel or beach house. Traffic would keep me from traveling back and forth every day.

Mentioned in this post
Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

Have you considered splitting your stay between the two, so that you can take in both- you didn't mention how long you are staying, but if time allows, maybe staying 2 days in VA Beach & staying 2 days in Williamsburg for example.

Or have you considered staying in the middle, in-between them, in order to allow for both? In the city of Hampton or Newport News? For example, Newport News is about 40 minutes from VA Beach, & about 25 minutes from Williamsburg. June is a peak tourist time for the both areas, so it is possible you may even be able to save on your hotel room costs by staying out of the immediate touristy areas (I often save hundreds of dollars by staying a little further out from touristy/special event areas, and also avoid the headache of in-town traffic)

If you decide to consider Newport News, I do have two hotels I personally would recommend- the Point Plaza Suites & Conference Hotel, or the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites. They are both conveniently right off I-64. So it's easy to hop right on to the highway for easy straight shots to either Williamsburg or VA Beach. They are also really nice well-rated full service properties- with full service restaurants, indoor pools (the Point Plaza's pool is the largest), exercise rooms, business centers- the works. They both have suites or standard guest rooms to choose from, but the Point Plaza does have the largest selection of different room & suite types. They also carry discount attraction tickets to various attractions in the area and offer a complimentary DVD library & board games.

Either way, I hope you have time to visit both Williamsburg & VA Beach- they are both great places in their own way.

Mentioned in this post
Mechanicsville...
Level Contributor
121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

Hi,

I think splitting your stay would be most wise. The trouble with not being near/on the beach is 1) having to pay for parking for the day at the beach and 2) difficult to get any respite from the sun and sand if you don't have a hotel to retreat to - especially thinking of the grandparents.

Don't forget to look into Jamestown and Yorktown, which are a stone's throw from Williamsburg and would be interesting to the children (especially Jamestown). If you choose to do both, buy a pass which gains entrance to both venues and will save a little money.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Yorktown
Yorktown
Virginia
Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

I respectfully don't agree about staying in Newport News or Hampton and travelling to Williamsburg or Virginia Beach....the traffic up and down the peninsula is simply too unpredictable.

There are fine hotels and timeshares very near Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and VA Beach. I would recommend you split your stay between the two locations and avoid a bunch of unnecessary and possibly frustrating commuting.

Mentioned in this post
Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg
10,135 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

We too, are considering Williamsburg and possibly Virginia beach or Myrtle Beach (which we know is a bit of a drive). We could do timeshare at both so hotels aren't an issue. We're thinking a week in Williamsburg and another week at one of the beaches is that too long? We are traveling with teens as well, what do you recommend?

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

You can easily enjoy a week in Williamsburg if your trip is in the warmer months, with visits to Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Busch Gardens and Water Country. If that's not enough, visit the many historic plantations along the James River, take a (long) day trip to Monticello, and visit one of the many nearby museums.

As far as a week on the ocean front, that's personal preference, but VA Beach and Myrtle Beach are visited by many in the summer months.

So come on east and enjoy what we have to offer!

Mentioned in this post
Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg
10,135 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Yorktown
Yorktown
Virginia
Water Country USA
Water Country USA
2,157 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
James River
James River
350 Reviews
Richmond, VA
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

Thanks Bixdoc, for your help. Would Virgina Beach too boring for teens? I know its like a 5 hour drive to Mrytle Beach would it be worth the trip? Thanks!

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

VA Beach is a beach...with a boardwalk,restaurants, bars. If the beach thing is your thing, it will be entertaining. Myrtle Beach is not as urban as VA Beach, but it is very crowded. Both have long stretches of oceanfront beaches. Golf is also a plus at Myrtle Beach.

Honestly, if it was me with kids and parents, I would spend my extra time in Washington, D.C. The federal museums, restaurants along with a day trip to Annapolis and the Delaware shore may be just as enjoyable for all. But each of us is different and we should plan our trip accordingly.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Delaware
Delaware
United States
mechanicsville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

Ted and Lisa -

A week in each place would be great. Besides Colonial Willamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown, there is Busch Gardens Amusement Park and Water Country USA in Williamsburg for the kids.

Virginia Beach is 10 times better than Myrtle. (We used to go to Myrtle years ago before they "cleaned up" VB.) It's very family friendly now. There's a boardwalk which runs the length of the beach, with bands outside playing along it at various restaurants and bars. You can roller blade, rent (or bring your own) bicycles and go on the bike path which runs parallel to the boardwalk. The trolley makes travel easy, as you can get a multi-day pass and hop on and off as much as you want and see the whole 30 + blocks of shops and sites. Call

1-800-VABEACH for a list of events - there's an Elvis Festival (usually in June), Caribbean Music Festival, Latin Music Festival, Arts Festival - so much more potential than at Myrtle Beach, which gives you something else to do if you tire of the sand. There is also a pretty good aquarium, "kayak eco tours" of marshland around it, and some historical sites close by if you are so inclined.

It's a long drive to Myrtle and not worth it in my opinion.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Yorktown
Yorktown
Virginia
Busch Gardens
Busch Gardens
14,725 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Water Country USA
Water Country USA
2,157 Reviews