We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping?

Eastern Shore...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Camping?

Going to Busch Gardens soon, was wondering if anyone had suggestions on camping near there. Thanks.

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Destination Expert
for Hampton, Newport News
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping?

About 10 minutes from Busch Gardens is Newport News Park, the largest municipal park east of the Mississippi River at a little over 8000 acres. It has facilities for both tent and RV camping. The park also offers boat rentals (paddleboats, jon boats and canoes), fishing, two public golf courses, disk golf, bicycling, hiking paths and playgrounds.

Depending on when you might be staying, you could catch a Friday evening nature program (May brings "Fire From Scratch" and "Snakes Alive!") or a Sunday Bird Walk (1st and 3rd Sundays) or one of the other programs offered by the city.

The Campground Office can be reached at 1-800-203-8322.

Also, the online version of the Virginia Campground Directory might be helpful:

http://www.virginiacampgrounds.org/

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping?

This question was asked in January '09 (poster was planning a trip in April, so you may want to send a message to see where they camped)...here is the thread link

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g58313-i102-k24827…

In case the link does not work, just type "camping near Williamsburg" in the forum search box for previous posts on the topic.

Hope this helps.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping?

I do love the NN park.

If you want to stay closer to CW the Chickahominy Riverfront Park is run by The County - on the river, rents small boats, has a pool - kids love it.

Tent or RV?

Eastern Shore...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping?

Tent camping, but man i would love an rV lol, i was hoping to find some picS AND SUCH FOR THIS nEWport News Park camping ground any suggestions?

Southern Shores...
Level Contributor
132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping?

I've camped at both the NN Campground and the Chickahominy Riverfront Campground and I would strongly recommend the latter of those two. Waterfront sites and a quick shot by car to any destination in Greater Williamsburg. If you feel adventurous you could also take the ferry across the James and camp in Surry at Chippokes State Park. But again, out of the 3 I recommend Chickahominy.

Eastern Shore...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Pennsylvania
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping?

I am planning an RV trip soon... had your same question. did you find a nice place? any suggestions?

Thanks!

8. Re: Camping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 05:16