We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids First Vacation to Virginia -Spring Break

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Kids First Vacation to Virginia -Spring Break

We are planning a kids trip from Texas and fly in to Norfolk Virginia--then go to Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown. We need suggestions, places to stay, things to do . . . Will it be snowing 3rd week of March 2010 --will it be cold??? Would August be a better time to go??? How would you structure an arrive Saturday Depart the following Sunday type trip??? What programs would you attend at the Williamsburg. Our kids are 5,6,and 7. I have not been to Virginia since I was a kid.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids First Vacation to Virginia -Spring Break

It is highly unlikely to have snow in mid-March, but it may be cold and windy, especially anywhere by the shoreline / waterfront. Colonial Williamsburg is perhaps the world's finest living-history sight - a one-mile car-free area of rebuilt colonial buildings, costumed re-enactors and period atmosphere, and colonial gift shops, serviced by busses. There are also special daily programs for children, listed on their daily program guide. Your kids will also enjoy the Jamestown settlement with its reconstructed crude settlers cabin, Indian wigwam with animal hides inside with costumed interpreters, and tour on board the replicas of the immigrant ships there. However, by going in March, you will miss Busch Gardens "the old country" Theme Park, which is America's prettiest theme park and open just in summer. You will also miss the recreational Water Park, as it's also closed.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids First Vacation to Virginia -Spring Break

Welcome back to Virginia! Unless you have a particular reason for wanting to fly into Norfolk (ORF), I'd suggest flying in to Richmond (RIC). The drive is much easier and it's a little closer than ORF.

You will want to visit Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement, Historic Jamestowne, Yorktown Battlefield, and Yorktown Victory Center. All of the sites have good websites:

http://www.history.org/

http://www.historyisfun.org/

http://www.nps.gov/colo/

Poke around this forum and you'll get some ideas on things that will interest you. Read the "traveler's articles" that you'll find links to on the left-hand side of this page (under More on Williamsburg, Before You Go and Things to Do). On the CW website, you can click on the calendar and see what programs are available this season. Many are geared towards children.

We have no idea of what the weather will be like next March. Typically, it is cool rather than cold, and raining rather than snowing, but then there are the pictures I have of our backyard with snow in April a couple of years ago, so you just never know. I'd choose March over August, as August can be extremely warm, humid, and uncomfortable. But in August, you'll have Busch Gardens and Water Country, and there will likely be more programming at CW in full swing.

Have fun planning, and come back when you have more questions!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids First Vacation to Virginia -Spring Break

Hi, whatyousee -- regarding airports,you could choose Norfolk, Richmond or Newport News, but for most of us, Richmond has the most service.

Regarding time of year to visit -- I'd caution against EARLY March, as the winter operational season has lately extended up to or even past March 15. Meaning reduced operating schedules and minimal programming. No way to predict how things will go next spring, but it would be surprising to see many differences. As for your other option, two words describe Williamsburg in August: hot and crowded.

Perhaps it is the adults in your group who have to adhere to spring break, but if not, if you are trying to stick to the children's spring break, I'd give a serious thought to making arrangements with their school to allow special travel. April or May, September or October.

Since you are planning so marvelously far ahead, you actually stand a chance of reserving a Colonial House, which would be mind-blowingly fun for young ones. Check the resort section of www.history.org for details -- there is even a PDF you can download for individual descriptions of the houses. If your budget allows, go for it!

You also have time to get on the mailing list (sometimes a slow process). Call 1-800-HISTORY and leave your information. You'll get really great seasonal brochures.

Great start, let us help some more as you progress!!

Southern Shores...
Level Contributor
132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids First Vacation to Virginia -Spring Break

My $0.02:

In addition to Colonial Williamsburg, your children are the prime age for Busch Gardens. Busch Gardens doesn't open for the season until April and even then it's weekends only. You probably want to plan your trip later in the spring/summer season if you want to spend some time there.

Although, with the purchase of Anheuser-Busch by InBev who knows the future of Busch Gardens in 2010. Disney has been rumored to be interested, so it could be a year round destination by then.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,150 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids First Vacation to Virginia -Spring Break

Just a couple of things to think about--

Since you come from Texas (as do I), the heat and humidity of August won't be a shock to you. That's why I'd suggest coming in August so that you could include Virginia Beach in your itinerary. You can also do Busch Gardens (which I agree is the most beautiful theme park in America). They are opening a new section this season called " Sesame Street Forest of Fun" which would probably be a lot of fun for your young children.

As mentioned before, March can be chilly and windy, but hopefully snow-free. There will be fewer visitors at that time of year, but also there will likely be fewer programs at Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown.

Lots of pros and cons to weigh.

woodlandstx
Level Contributor
221 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids First Vacation to Virginia -Spring Break

for what it is worth,we are also from Texas, and shared the same concern about when to go. As schools are out here earlier for the summer than in many places, we decided a late May trip would work best. We'll do a trip report when we return and let you know!

7. Re: Kids First Vacation to Virginia -Spring Break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 06:24