We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg in Late Oct.

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Williamsburg in Late Oct.

Hubby and I planning a week long trip to Williamsburg in Oct 24-31st. We will be staying at Marriotts Manor Club at Ford's Colony. What is the weather like in late Oct? Great places to eat? Also wondering if anyone has done any tours with the following companies: Oleta, Maximum guided tours or Tidewater touring? One better than the other? Also flying into Norfolk airport. Is a car rental necessary or is there a shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to the sites. Any opinions or advise welcomed!! Thanks in advance

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg in Late Oct.

We have visited Williamsburg twice in October, and both trips were very nice (October of 2007 was unseasonably warm for two of the days we were there.) The days were warm, but the evenings were cool enough for a fire if your room has a fireplace. If you have never eaten at one of the colonial taverns, I recommend that you do so at least once. I have always enjoyed my dinners there, and I also like the ambiance found in the taverns.

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg in Late Oct.

Hi Brez6,

October weather is generally mild during the day (mid-60's, low 70's), & chilly at night (mid-upper 40's). But VA is known for veering off of the 'general' weather pattern, both unseasonable highs & lows are common. I would recommend packing layers.

The taverns are indeed lovely. I'm particularly partial to Shields Tavern & Kings Arms Tavern. While pricey, the taverns do provide an unbeatable experience. If you can fit it in your budget, I would definitely recommend.

I'm not familiar with the tour companies you mentioned, I'm sorry I can't help you there.

Norfolk airport is about an hour away from Williamsburg, so you will probably need a car or a transportation service. I do not believe that any of the Williamsburg hotels offer shuttles that far, but it couldn't hurt to check with the particular hotel you are staying with.

Hope that helps! You've chosen a lovely time to visit this area!

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg in Late Oct.

All of the tour companies you mentioned are good, reputable companies which have provided local and out of town tours for many years. If you would like to ask speicific questions about them, perhaps we can be of help.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg in Late Oct.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, we will def. try out one or 2 of the taverns.

In regards to the Tours, we were thinking of using Oleta Tours. Both the Washington Day trip and the Historic Triangle tours. Will these two tours give us alittle bit of everything?

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Williamsburg in Late Oct.

Oleta is a reputable tour company with local owners -- the two tours you mention will provide a good overview of the Historic Triangle and D.C. There is a discount if both tours are booked together.

Colonial Williamsburg is not included on the local tour, so you will want to be sure to add it into your week's plans.

6. Re: Williamsburg in Late Oct.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 July 2009, 15:35
7. Re: Williamsburg in Late Oct.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 05:16