We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Directions - What Is Best Way?

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Directions - What Is Best Way?

We will be heading to Williamsburg this Saturday from SC. We will be coming up I-85.

Mapquest shows different ways to go...

I-85 N (Crossing into VIRGINIA).

I-95 N via the exit on the LEFT toward RICHMOND.

VA-895 E/ POCAHONTAS PKWY via EXIT 67A (Portions toll)

I-295 N via the exit on the LEFT toward I-95 N/ WASHINGTON.

I-64 E via EXIT 28 toward NORFOLK.

OR

I-85 N (Crossing into VIRGINIA).

I-95 N via the exit on the LEFT toward RICHMOND.

W HUNDRED RD/ VA-10 E via EXIT 61A toward HOPEWELL.

I-295 N toward WASHINGTON.

Merge onto I-64 E via EXIT 28 toward NORFOLK.

Take the VA-143 exit, EXIT 238, toward US-60/ CAMP PEARY/ COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG.

We have never been to the area before and don't want tto get lost or stuck in Richmond traffic. Please advise! I am nervous!

Thanks!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Directions - What Is Best Way?

I think the first set of directions is best - once on I-64 E you will see signs for CW as you get close.

Have fun!

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Directions - What Is Best Way?

Thanks. So I-85/I-95/895/I-295/I-64 isn't as crazy as it sounds? I was worried mapquest way taking a strange way, it has done that to me before.

Thanks!

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Directions - What Is Best Way?

That's the best way.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
85 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Directions - What Is Best Way?

While it may not be the fastest way, I have another. It gets you off the interstate, and on to some scenic roads that go by several plantations. When I-85 merges with I-95, take I-95 south (Rocky Mount). Then take County Drive exit. It's 1/2 mile to the exit once you get on I-95. Then you will take a left on Courthouse Road (there's a McDonalds near where you turn). Courthouse Road will go under 295, and then turn in to Ruffin Road. Stay straight on Ruffin Road until you come to a stop light, that's James River Drive (Hwy 10 east). Take a right, and go about 1/2 mile and turn left on to Jordan Point Road. This will take you across the James River. After you cross the river, you will come to a stop sign. Turn right, this is Hwy 5. It goes by most of the plantations. It is a great drive, and it goes into Williamsburg. Try this way, and then on your way back, go the interstate. Then when you return from your vacation, you can let everyone know which way "you" liked best. Have a fun trip. jonathan

Southern Shores...
Level Contributor
132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Directions - What Is Best Way?

There's yet another scenic route that I suggest. My job takes me down to Raleigh and Rocky Mount, NC every now and again. After telling a friend that I used Rt. 5 or I64 to go inland to Richmond and then south, he showed me a shortcut to get to points South (connecting to I95 or I85) using the Jamestown-Scotland ferry rather than having to inland.

Here's my route in reverse so that it's bringing you North.

I-85 all the way into VA. From I-85 to 40 (McKenney, VA). Take 40 all the way to 10 (Spring Grove, VA). Take 10 until you can turn left onto 31. 31 dead ends at the Scotland ferry station. Viola, Just take the ferry across to Jamestown! You get to enter Williamsburg like royalty on a ferry and you enter at America's first permanent English settlement.

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Destination Expert
for Hampton, Newport News
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Directions - What Is Best Way?

There's a $2.75 toll for VA-895, but it's well worth it; I've traveled it many times and have never run into congestion.

However, if you're not in a hurry, as others have said, Route 5 is a beautiful drive. Just be prepared to *savor* your driving experience as it's one lane in each direction; you may not be able to pass slower drivers. Still, you're on vacation, so relax and enjoy! :-)

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
236 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Directions - What Is Best Way?

Thank you all so much! I am the driver/navigator for the family and I wasn't sure which way to go. I am going to opt for the interstate way. We may try the scenic route on the way home. Thanks again for the input. I feel better about it now...

8. Re: Driving Directions - What Is Best Way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 06:16