We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
695 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

Last year while on vacation in Orlando ,we seemed to eat almost every meal in either an outback or longhorn restaurant to satisfy my husband`s love of steak.I have to say I could`nt complain about the food ,it was very good ,but there has to be more to life!,he even had to admit that it got slightly boring after a while.Now dont get me wrong he has`nt gone vegetarian or anything drastic like that ,but we would love to find some good mid priced restaurants in the Williamsburg area that serve great steak as well as other options this year.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

Opus 9 in New Town is a great place for steak, but it is not mid priced -- definitely more on the expensive side. They run early bird and dinner for two specials that you may find worth trying.

Other good steaks can be found at Blue Talon Bistro, on Prince George Street, which has a daily steak special, and the Fat Canary, at Merchants Square.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Talon Bistro
Blue Talon Bistro
1,814 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Fat Canary
Fat Canary
1,407 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Merchants Square
Merchants Square
219 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

Hi bennyking!

Schlesinger's in Newport News is known for good steaks, if you are up for about a 20 minute drive from Williamsburg. I haven't been there yet, but I've heard it's wonderful. It also has accrued some awards. Here is their website so you can check out their menus to see if it sounds like something you both would like:

http://www.schlesingerssteaks.com/

It is also located in a lovely newly developed part of town that is wonderful for after-dinner strolls.

Mentioned in this post
Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

We dined at Schlesinger's recently, and it was just O.K. -- not really worth the drive and expense, IMHO.

Besides, Schlesinger's says it is a sister restaurant to Opus 9, so the long drive to Newport News really isn't necessary.

Mentioned in this post
Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

Wow, I did not know that Opus 9 was a sister restaurant. Good to know for the future!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

Citie's Grille on Rt 5 near Ironbound also has good steaks and is much more reasonably priced and not as pretentious as Opus 9.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

Cities Grill - I suggest it often, the menu is varied, they have great food and a certificate on www.restaurant.com most months.

Yes, Opus 9 is good and too expensive and the same peeps as Schleninger's - no need to go to Newport news.

Aberdeen Barn has been a locals favorite for steaks for decades, a traditional steakhouse menu, not as varied or good as Cities Grill for the non-steak options, also no certificate, so the meal for 2 will cost more. We love them both

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen Barn
Aberdeen Barn
659 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,123 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

I treated my son to a steak dinner at the Aberdeen Barn last year when we were college-visiting at William and Mary. We both enjoyed the food and our waitress was top-notch. At that time they did offer coupons, but now they have monthly specials. Check their website for details.

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen Barn
Aberdeen Barn
659 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,986 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

I also recommend Aberdeen Barn. Another place I've gotten good steak is The Whaling Company. In addition to steak, their menu has some other good choices, too.

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen Barn
Aberdeen Barn
659 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
The Whaling Company
The Whaling Company
1,161 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Central VA
Level Contributor
96 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

Sadly, I have yet to have a good steak in Williamsburg; but I have not tried the places the other posers have recommended.

I have only tried the steak twice, on separate trips. Turns out it was the same restaurant under different names - currently called The Black Angus.

The food was about a 2 out of 5. DO NOT go there for good steak, and it was expensive too. Our service was good but that didn't make the beef taste good.

Each time I went there, I didn't even bother trying to order steak for the rest of my Williamsburg visit. I was that disenchanted, because both times the place (under the old and the new name) had come highly recommended.

I find it very odd that it is so highly rated, and that so many of the 5-star ratings have only one or 2 contributions.

As far as Aberdeen Barn, I have not been to the one in Williamsburg, but have been to the one in Charlottesville. It was nothing special, but considerably better than Black Angus.

I hear Yorkshire Steak and Seafood has good beef, but the other options there may not be as good, and it is definitely an old fashioned type of place. I may try it myself in a few weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen Barn
Aberdeen Barn
659 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Williamsburg, VA
Level Contributor
203 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: steak dinners suggestions,cant face another outback!

A very strong vote for Opus 9 - fabulous steaks! And totally disagree that it's pretentious....I would say it's upscale, with very very nice wait staff and nice atmosphere. Go for the Recession Buster special; 3 courses, $29.95, Sun-Thurs 4:30-6:30 pm; which I think makes it a great value. Try the filet mignon - it's wonderful!