We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving in Williamsburg?

Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Topic
Thanksgiving in Williamsburg?

Has anybody spent Thanksgiving in Williamburg? Our son, 10, is studying early American History this year (homeschooled kiddo) and we thought it might be interesting to spend Thanksgiving in Williamsburg. Will we be missing much by visiting in the fall instead of the spring/summer? Where would you suggest having our Thanksgiving dinner? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Nan

Central VA
Level Contributor
96 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving in Williamsburg?

Until someone can help you I suggest the forum search, as this topic is pretty popular every year.

One thing I will say is generally book early if possible.

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving in Williamsburg?

Hi iammommy!

Here is a link to all of the threads with a similar topic to your own. You should find some helpful information there.

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
572 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving in Williamsburg?

Thanksgiving is a great time of the year to visit the Historic Triangle of Virginia. All the Taverns in CW serve a traditional meal throughout the day and seating times book weeks in advance, so reserve early. Otherwise, all the large hotels in the area serve a holiday buffet, just like everywhere else and most restaurants will have turkey on their menu that day. The Foodways program at Jamestown will be demonstrating meal preparation over an open fire as the colonists would have done (not for your consumption). Not far away is Berkeley Plantation where the first Thanksgiving took place, 10 years before the arrival of the Mayflower in MA. Next month, you may want to request a Holiday Planner be sent to you by calling 1-800-HISTORY or you can go online www.history.org to see a copy. The holiday season events usually start with Thanksgiving programming.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving in Williamsburg?

Hi, Nan -- I concur with catneal that Thanksgiving is a great time to be in Williamsburg. Not hot or cold, not crowded or a ghost town, but crispy and charged with the energy of the upcoming season.

Will you miss anything? There probably will be fewer active outdoor projects related to building construction or archaeology. However if your interests run to the fine arts, you will find programming nicely ramped up for the influx of holiday visitors.

But realistically, for a 10-year-old first-time visitor, have no fear. You will be more than busy for the weekend. Absolutely plan on a day at the Jamestowns. They are extremely important in their own right and they provide a really necessary perspective on what was achieved the following century in Williamsburg.

If I were an American history teacher, I'd take a 10-year-old to Williamsburg ANY time from late March to December with the fullest confidence that he would have a feast of experiences and learning. If I were that child's parent, and looking for a memorable holiday with the family, I'd get on the phone right now and make my reservations. That's how strongly I recommend it! Hope you decide to do it, and have a great time!

5. Re: Thanksgiving in Williamsburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 06:17